• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My Twins birth story

Ilovetomatoes

Reaction score
So I finally have time to sit in front of a computer and write this :).

It all started when I was 26 weeks pregnant. At 4pm, I felt shooting pain on my lower belly, while I was trying to eat my snack!, I laid down for a bit and tried to count how many contractions I had. To cut the story short, I had to visit L&D after more than 1 and 1/2 hour of continuous contractions. Luckily DH was around and he took me to the hospital. We stayed there for 6 hours and Dr. said that my cervix was closed. So we went home and I had an appt. with my Perinatalogist a couple of days later. She checked my cervix and said that my cervix appeared to be shorten but it was quite normal since I was carrying twins. I tried to stay off my feet and rest a lot more, especially since I was already on disability for carpal tunnel.

Fast forward a week later, I was planning to go back to work in a week. Called my boss and told him that I was going back since sitting at home drove me nuts. Well, at 3 am Wednesday morning, I was sound asleep until i felt a gush of liquid coming out. I jumped off the bed, yelled at my husband while running or more like fast waddling to the bathroom and holding my VJJ! (Not sure if that helped any :p) to call L & D and told them that my water broke. As I was sitting on the toilet, I felt more gushes of water coming out. DH was panicking at this point. I told him to get me a pad and new undies. Then, I proceeded to brush my hair, changed my clothes, and brushed my teeth. The drive to the hospital took about 35 minutes but I didn't really have any contractions. As we walked in to the hospital, DH asked me if I wanted to be wheeled in. I said no...I could still walk but he insisted on the wheelchair. I sat on the wheelchair and suddenly felt a medium size contraction. Luckily we were in the hospital already. They put us in the triage room and the on call OB did a swab to test whether or not it was my water. Well, 15 minutes later she came back and told me that the test did not show that my water broke! Umm..alright. I was pretty sure it was my water. There was no way I peed on myself. So, 30 minutes later they repeated the test. Within 10 minutes, 2 nurses came in and told me that I ruptured and yes..my water did break. I started shaking then. I wasn't sure what caused the shaking but my whole body shook and I wasn't able to control it. They put me on magnesium and gave me steroid shots to help with the babies lungs development. They told me that I had to stay in the hospital until I gave birth and hopefully the magnesium would help delaying the birth. If you ever given magnesium, good luck to your DHs! :). It made me feel hot while DH was freezing. With that said, ask for ice pack for your neck and back. It helps for sure. So the magnesium did help and I stayed in the hospital for 18 days. We did visit the L&D section 4 days after I first got admitted and was given another dose of magnesium.

Anyway, my perinatologist told me that the prospect of the babies staying inside until 34 weeks seemed to be higher since we passed 14 days without birth. Apparently, the majority of women gave birth between 7-14 days after they ruptured. On day 18th, Saturday morning around 1 am, I felt a trickle of liquid coming out, which was not unusual since I had been leaking amniotic fluid the whole time since the rupture. Then I felt another one...then another one. I immediately got up and ran to the bathroom and told DH to call the nurse because I think my water broke again! Got to the bathroom and this time I saw bloody mucus. I knew that it was my mucus plug. My favorite nurse came in, saw the blood, and told me to stay while she got a wheelchair. She wheeled me so fast to L&D and within minutes I was back under monitoring. The Dr. came in and checked my cervix. She told me that I was 2 cm dilated. They put me under magnesium again and gave me another shot of steroid. But at that point, they wouldn't prevent labor if it happened. So for the whole day I wasn't given any food and water. I refused a catheter because the last time they put one in, it was painful and uncomfortable. So, I had to pee on a bed pan! After a few hours, the Dr. checked my cervix again and told me that it seemed that the magnesium was working. My cervix was 1 cm dilated. Yaaayy. Through out the whole day, i had contractions on and off along with lots of braxton hicks but they were never over 6 contractions in an hour. There were 1 or 2 big contractions between 1 or 2 hours. Around 6pm, the nurse asked the Dr. if I could have anything to eat. The answer was still a no but I was allowed clear liquid. So I was given frozen popsicles and jello. I wasn't hungry but super thirsty. Around 8pm, I was allowed to eat and asked for fruit. They gave me a wedge of watermelon (tasted like heaven at that point!). Around 8:30pm, I was having problem peeing. I told the nurse that I felt that I need to pee and there was this pressure on my lower abdomen. She told me to try to pee. After 20 minutes, I still couldn't pee. So we decided to wait a bit longer....maybe I started to feel shy peeing on the bed in front of my husband and nurse! Then I started to feel contractions...bad contractions and it came one after another to the point that I was crying at the end. I told DH that something was wrong and called the nurse (I was holding on the side of the bed and tried to breathe through the pain). Both the nurse and Dr came in, they brought the ultrasound machine with them. Then the Dr said...well...your bladder is really big. It almost reach your belly button! I asked her if I could go to the bathroom by myself. She said yes. I finally able to pee! Yaay It felt so good. I told the Dr. I no longer felt any contractions. The Dr. said great but let's check your cervix to make sure everything was ok since no one had checked it since this morning. The nurses from the Mom and Baby unit came to visit us during this time and "lured" DH away with the promise of ice cream (plus he needed extra shirt since it was so cold in the room. I didn't feel it because of the magnesium). While DH was away, the Dr. came in again to check my cervix. I was confident that we were going back to Mom and Baby unit until I heard her went..uuummm. I see head. WHAT!! What head? Dr: I see head with lots of black hair. Me: Are you telling me that I am giving birth tonight? Dr: yes apparently so. Let me check your cervix. Well..you are complete and the baby is on your birth canal already. Me: mmm..do I get epidural? anything? Dr: Well. You can push now and the baby will come out. Then I started to panic. Dr: what's your birth plan? Me: to get epidural! That's the only thing on my list. Also the perinatalogist told me that if the babies were under 3lbs and one of them was still breach, I'd have to do C-section. Dr: well..C-section it is then since baby B is transverse. Me: ok. Let's do it. 10 minutes later, a swarm of people came in and prepped me for the C-section. DH came in and he was handed the suit for the OR. I looked at him and said..suit up honey! We are having babies tonight. The look on his face was priceless. :D. 10 minutes later, I was in front of the OR and told the Dr. that I think my other water broke and they told me not to worry about it since I was already in front of the OR. I could not stop shaking then...my whole body shook violently and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Within period of 20 minutes, the babies were born 1 minute apart. I wasn't able to see them immediately due to the C-section. But, we were happy and glad that both of them were healthy. Baby A weight 2 lbs 4 oz and Baby B weight 2 lbs 6 oz. Yes, they were both tiny compare to full term babies but they were actually at normal weights for their gestational age. They are both currently over 4 lbs each and doing really well. We are hoping to take them home from the NICU in a couple of weeks. All I want to say about being pregnant and giving birth is to have no expectations. Over all, I'd do it all over again because we are so in love with our twins :). Yes, I will subject myself to become human pincushion again :D.

Was the contractions painful? Yes, but it was nothing that I couldn't handle until toward the end where I was crying...I was ready to ask for a pain killer but at that point I was complete and ready to push. I didn't take any of the classes that I signed up for (Newborn class, Labor and Delivery class, and breastfeeding class). Will the classes help? Not really sure. We got a 2 minute crash course from the L&D nurse on how to breathe through contraction and that was it. I found the nurses and doctors were very helpful during my stay at the hospital, labor, and breastfeeding.

So happy to read your story and know the girls are ok!!

Huge congratulations :D What a birth story for when they are older xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->