Name dilemma

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My favorite girls name this go around is Reese and it's been on our baby name list since we had our daughter Riley. I think the names go really well together, and I'd like to use it for our baby girl that is due in Nov. The problem is, my DH's step-sister used Reese for her daughters middle name. The girls would be almost 2 years apart, but there aren't any kids between them. We don't like telling anyone our name choices before the baby is born, so I'm not going to ask her if she'd be okay with it. I just don't know what to do....would you use the name?

Being that she used it as a middle name it wouldn't bother me.. my daughter and my brothers step daughter have the same middle name (named my daughter well after niece was in the picture) I didn't ask "permission" it was a name we liked and had meaning to me so I used it.

I would totally use the name! After all, it's just the middle name she used it for.
I say go for it!!

As with the others it's a middle name so wouldn't bother me

So, we just got back from visiting DH's side of the family, and I'm now hesitant to use the name Reese for our baby.

DH's Dad and step-mom typically use first and middle name's when they use their grandkids name, for instance, when they talk about our DD1, they refer to her as Riley Grace instead of just Riley. Therefore, if we choose to use the name Reese, their grandkids (all girls) names would be GD1, Riley Grace, GD3, N--- Reese, and Reese Caroline.

Would this bother you?? After visiting, I've gone off the name Reese, even though it's still my favorite name for our baby girl, because of this issue.

I personally wouldn't use it, purely because it would annoy me if someone used my ds's middle name.

It's a tough call, I knew sisters called Reece and Riley, super cute sib set, but I think I'd be hesitant under the circumstances. Have u considered Rae?

I used my nephews middle name as my son's first name! It's actually a family name on OH's side and we always loved it. I was unsure just like you but didn't want to tell everyone our name. So I actually asked MIL (grandma to both children) if she thought they would mind, just to gauge the situation. She said they wouldn't mind at all so we went for it. It has never been mentioned, I have no idea if they did mind or not, but it's never been an issue. I think it helps that they are sort of named after someone.

Also OHs other brother is getting married and his fiancé has said she likes James which is MY son's middle name! I actually wouldn't mind at all obv as I did it, and think it would be sort of cute!

I personally wouldn't, I had a little problem when my sister said she was going to use my dd2 middle name as a first if she had a girl. It bothered me because we had discussed this years before that I said I would use name for middle and she said I won't use it then.
It all depends how your family is though if they are bothered by it. I've ruled out names that nephews have first or middle for baby I'm pregnant with now.

I wouldn't, just because I want something different to what's already in the family, and it would be annoying having everyone say or ask if you copied.

Yeah, I think I've gone off the name now. I'm a little bummed because Reese and Riley would sound so good together. DH has a favorite name (Cara), but I'm not overly keen on it. It seems to be the only name he likes as any other name I suggest gets shot down. :dohh:

My favorites:
Harper Cate
Delaney Cate

DH's favorite:
Cara Emerson

I feel like this child won't ever get a name! :wacko:

I love Reese and Harper! Both are at the top of my list but I don't know if I'm having a girl. I probably wouldn't use Reese though if it was already in the family just because it would probably bother me if my sister used my DD middle name as a first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->