Name frustration!

susan_1981

Mummy to 2 boys :)
Reaction score
Me and my husband have decided that, as we are having another boy, we are going to call him Ethan. That's the plan at the moment anyway. When I was pregnant with my son, we wanted to call him Ethan but my family in particular kept telling me they didn't like it, it was horrible and don't I have any other names I like. My sister told me that it's "too Irish" - as far as I'm aware, Ethan doesn't originate from Ireland. Besides which, I'm half Irish anyway so it's irrelevant. I regretted not calling my son Ethan and they were the reason I didn't go for it.

I just think it's really rude of them to criticise my name choice. My mum keeps saying she doesn't like it and I keep telling her that she called me Susan for godsake! Maybe that's a perfectly lovely name if you were born in the 50s, but not when you were born in the 80s!

I'm not sure what my husband's family think of the name but my mother-in-law happily refers to our baby as Ethan without any wrinkling of the nose.

My friend said that she had the same problem when she told her mum what she was going to call her son. And she said that next time, she wouldn't tell anyone as they aren't likely to say they don't like the name once the baby arrives. But I know my family would still say they didn't like it, regardless of whether he's here or not.

Have any of you had this problem? I just find it really annoying! x

I haven't had that exact issue, but when FOB and I were still together we had made a deal if we had a boy, he could name him and if we had a girl, I could name her. EVERYONE was always up in arms about how I could even let him just name my baby and not have any say in it what so ever and that it was just absurd I would let him do such a thing because I'M the mom.
I reminded people that I'm the one pregnant, I didn't get myself pregnant, and if they want to tell me how I should name/raise my child then I could be expecting some sort of financial security from them. Or asked them why they named their kid whatever they did and gave them the same disgusted look they've given me (I personally don't have any opinion on other's names because, well its not my children and its not my business) and they usually got the hint.

NOW, however, that the FOB isn't around or part of this pregnancy, I've decided to go with the name I've always loved anyway, but I'm still keeping the middle name the same in case FOB does decide to remove his head from his ass when our son gets here, and if not, then I still have the name that I like and a handsome baby boy to raise.

There are so many of these situations spoken about on the forum and it shocks me everytime!

Go with what you and hubby love.

That is SOOO rude of them! Carry on and name YOUR child the name YOU want to!
Such a shame they don't realise/think about you and your feelings rather than their opinions! Hope all gets sorted and all happy!

1. I love the name Ethan
2. Screw them its your baby, next time do not tell them the name. My mil tortures is for a name, so I torture back n say we aren't saying.... (But we don't have a name haha)

This is exactly why we are keeping the name a secret until he is born.
We named DS1 after my husband and my FIL, and people still had crap to say about it. Like, "Don't you want him to have his own identity?" Yeah, last time I checked, people named after others usually have their own identities. They aren't copies of the "original." So dumb...
There is nothing wrong with the name Ethan. I can't think of any reason not to like it. It's a great name!

DH and I will be keeping the name a secret until birth. =)

Thanks everyone. That's the problem with my family though. They are so bloody outspoken that even if I waited until my son arrives, I know they'd pull a face when I'd say what we've called him. To be honest, even if I go off the name, I think I'll still stick with it as there's no way they're winning on this one. I felt really sad for a while after having my son because I felt like I didn't give him the name I wanted. It suits him perfectly now though and I think it's helped by the fact that I'm having another boy so I can now have Ethan x

I told my grandmother we were going to call our son Oliver and her reaction was
"You can't do that! That's cruel!"
We did anyway. The day after he was born she said "I love the name, it really suits him" lol Just do your own thing, let everyone else get on with it! They'll love it once he's here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->