• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Name spellings?

mrsmummy2

Mum of 3 ❤
Reaction score
It's still early days, but I'm almost certain baby is a girl.. I just have a feeling :shrug: Probably wrong but who knows :haha:

SO! I really like the name Evelyn (said ev-er-lyn), but my mum said people will say eve-lyn rather than ev-er-lyn :dohh: What do you ladies think?

Hubby isn't fussed... the only name we can agree on is Grace... so we thought maybe Grace Evelyn, but perhaps spelled Grace Everlyn?

Cannot even find a boys name we both agree on :shrug: Suggestions welcome :haha:

Firstly, Evelyn is a gorgeous name.

I've never known anyone to pronounce it as "Eve-lyn", so I wouldn't put the "r" in there personally. I have a name with an extra letter, which is constantly misspelled as a result and it drives me crazy!

Yes I definitely think throwing the r in there may confuse things. Just reeeeeally not fussed on the name eve-lyn :dohh: I'd never even heard it that way so was super surprised when she said it!

My cousin is Evelyn and i think its a beautiful name. Never heard her name mispronounced

Glad to hear other people actually like the name! My mum says its very old lady :dohh: The only thing I don't like about it is the thought of people shortening it and calling her "Ev" haha! Overthinking that a little!!

Im from the states and we pronounce Evelyn as Ev-e-lyn no R. Maybe its all in where you are from? i like Grace too and i think it has a nice flow to it as Evelyn Grace instead of Grace Evelyn but either sound good!

I agree Evelyn Grace flows better. We have a HORRENDOUS surname... so I feel like I need to make up for it with first and middle names :haha:

My granny is Evelyn and there's no 'r' sound, I would definitely never read it as such either. I think for spelling Everlyn would look fine and not confuse. I like Grace Evelyn too! :)

My top boys names are-

Jason
Matthew
Elliot
Nathan
Ethan

Spoken to hubby and i think if a girl it'll definitely be Everlyn Grace or Grace Everlyn. Hopefully.... :haha:

My niece is Roxanne Evelyn and there have never been any issues with either of her names not being pronounced right.

Mind you, both her names are those timeless classics that never age (Grace is also one of those names) so the amount of people who won't actually know how to say it should be almost zero if you actually do encounter that problem.

My little boy is 5 and he has 3 Evelyns in his year! Its a gorgeous name and so is Grace xxx

I personally prefer it without the 'r'. I think it's a beautiful name pronounced Ev-ah-lin and I think most of the younger generation (anyone under 40ish) pronounces it this way but I have heard members of the older generation pronounce it Eve-lin so I do understand your concern.

Most people will hear it before they see it written but for those that read it first you may have to correct them. Its like people that are named Sara but pronounce it Sarah - they have to correct people when they read it for the first time, then everyone gets it right. I think it's just a matter of correcting people once and they'll say it how you want them to or a lifetime of spelling a name for everyone because it has an extra unexpected letter, but if you prefer the look of it with an r then go for it!

I didn't think I'd given my son a difficult name, but I still have to spell it for everyone that's writing it because it has a silent e on the end that people miss (this is the correct and original spelling so I don't know why people miss the e) and I SOMETIMES have to correct people because they pronounce the e on the end - it doesn't really bother me, it just makes me laugh, but I do sometimes think, oh dear, what have we set him up for!

Im from the states and we pronounce Evelyn as Ev-e-lyn no R. Maybe its all in where you are from? i like Grace too and i think it has a nice flow to it as Evelyn Grace instead of Grace Evelyn but either sound good!

How we pronounce too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->