Names already in the family

Sorsha

Tentatively expecting #2
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone's opinions are on using names that are already in the family--in a generation close to the baby. E.g., DH has a cousin in her teens with a name both DH and I have always loved. I think it would be weird to use it for one of our kids since they'd be at family gatherings together and have everyone calling them by their first names. Also I wouldn't want it to seem like we're naming the kid *after* the cousin or ursurping her name. DH feels it'd be no big deal. Thoughts?

(Granted, we might not have any girls and this won't even matter, but I'm curious about the general etiquette too. :) )

It would depend on how close we were or how often we saw each other. If we weren't that close and the family reunions wouldn't be that often, I would use it if it was a name I REALLY loved. However, if there are other contenders, I'd lean towards those first, regardless.

That's a good point about frequency! We see that side of the family 3-4 times a year, although we may see that particular cousin less once she's old enough to be out on her own.

If u don't see her that much then I don't see the harm if u really like it! x

I personally wouldn't use it even if you only see them a few times a year. The only time I would consider using it is if there was no contact between them at all.

:flower:

I would avoid using a family name unless its linear, however sometimes it ok

I was considering Billy for my son (it was our grandads name which i might still use) but we have a cousin only about 7 years older than my son called William (which shortens to billy sometimes) but he is always know as William as his parents hate nicknames and our child would be Billy not William besides we have only met them 3 times since he was born

I would consider using it. I named one of my daughters Sofia, and I have a cousin named Sophie. I asked my aunt if she minded as the names were so similar before I named her.

My cousin who was also recently pregnant asked if I would mind of she used my sons name if she had a boy, she ended up having a girl, but I wouldn't have minded her using my sons name because she'd asked first. I may have been a bit annoyed if she had just used it and not asked. I do think its down to etiquette.

I would use it but I might mention it to the cousin first - if it's said in the right way, it will be taken as a compliment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->