Nancy

windswept

Reaction score
What are your instant thoughts on the name Nancy...?

To be Archie's sister and probably with curly red hair...

I like that its not popular and it isn't in fashion! It also makes me think of a sweet, innocent child who will be polite but with a little quirky edge. I also feel it will suit her as a baby, child, young woman and old lady.

Keen to hear your thoughts though!

I love nancy it's such a cute name and was my great nannas name so means even more to me. It's honestly really cute and like you said is suitable through all ages xx

I know two women named Nancy - one is 2 years older than me and the other is a year younger. They are both successful, sweet, classy, very amazing and beautiful women. Based on my experience with the name Nancy, I'd give my daughter this name a hundred times over!!! Also, the name is pretty and rare. I vote YES!

I like it! I was just thinking about this name the other day and wondering if it would start popping up again. My aunt's name is Nancy and I adore her, so it has a special place in my heart. It is a very cute name!

Really like it, I know three Nancy's - an older lady, a woman my age and my daughters friend at nursery. Its a classy name that suits all ages, :thumbup:

I think I've found a keeper!

Anyone not like it? Apart from my best friend?!

personally its not my style, but its your child so your choice

I always imagine an older middle class prude when i think that name (no idea why just always have)

you also will have the fame association with Sid and Nancy Spungin (famous punk couple, who where heavily on drugs he murdered her then died of a drug overdose, its quite a cult obsession thing)

I call my lb nancy when hes being a girl :haha: bad mummy award over here :blush:

I honestly cant imagine an 18 yr old nancy :wacko:

I love the name Nancy. I only know one little girl by that name, but it is so cute.

She spells it Nansi - the Welsh way, which I think is lovely too.

Love it, definitely a winner :flower:

It's traditional and will stand the test of time

Xx

I like it. I gave my daughter a timeless, traditional classic name as well. You cant go wrong!

I'm saying this ONLY because you specifically asked but I don't like it. Makes me think "Nancy boy" which isn't only an insult but a particularly sexist and small minded one, so it has very negative connotations for me (apart from automatically making me sing the Placebo song!). When I hear the name, I just have visions of a child being bullied. :( I know that's not rational and if you love it, totally go for it but personally I wouldn't call a daughter Nancy.

I'm saying this ONLY because you specifically asked but I don't like it. Makes me think "Nancy boy" which isn't only an insult but a particularly sexist and small minded one, so it has very negative connotations for me (apart from automatically making me sing the Placebo song!). When I hear the name, I just have visions of a child being bullied. :( I know that's not rational and if you love it, totally go for it but personally I wouldn't call a daughter Nancy.

I have to agree - that horrible insult was the first thing I thought of.

I don't like it at all. But it is your child and whatever you like or love is great .

My daughter died when i was 22 weeks pregnant , her name was Ava . So many people didn't like the name including my husband , but I could have cared less I loved it. :hugs:

I know 3 Nancy's. One is late 20's, one is about 8 yrs old and one will be 3 at the end of the month.
All of them suit their name in many different ways.

Hmmm... I have heard the phrase nancy boy, but it's not one I've heard often or have ever used. I don't think that would put me off - obviously I'd never call a son Nancy, and the way I'd use the phrase is about an effeminate male rather than anything offensive towards a female?

I love the placebo song, but again, never thought of the words... Just looked them up and yeah, they are more likely to put me off! Would hate to think of my little girl having those sung to her!

Out of interest I pumped it into Urban dictionary... Here's what it came up with, the nancy boy connotations come third and last! https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nancy

I'm glad you brought it up, my hubby also mentioned it, but it's not deterring us!

Well it's my DD's name so obviously I love it :thumbup: I do think it might be increasing in popularity though if that matters to you, I work in a nursery and a colleague and parent there have both had babies called Nancy after my DD was born...!

I was brought up where the term 'soft Nancy' was an insult iykwim, so Im not really fussed for that reason, makes me think of a weak person which sounds awful i know :dohh: Im sorry. My friend called her baby Nancy, she does suit it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->