Nappies Drying, Issue!

purpledahlia

Mummy
Reaction score
Im having a mare!
My nappies used to just dry overnight, at my mums. Now ive moved, and the load of washing i did, the nappies are all on the airer and this is now night 3 and the inserts are all still wet. not even a tiny bit damp but actually quite a lot damp, my nappy bucket is actually almost full and i only have 12 nappies left. Now i have almost 40 nappies in total.............:shrug:
what the hell am i meant to do? Theyre just not drying fast in this house? The heating is only on for an hour in the AM and an hour in the PM, its may, shouldnt need it on, plus i cant afford to have it on in summer. I think its because my mums washing ,machine had a mega spin.. this one is oldder and doesnt have the choice of spin, its just spin or dont.
Do you think if i try and see if the machine does a spin cycle at the end, extra, will that work/help?
Will that bump up my bills tho?
what else can i do? Im never in for hours on end to have them hang outside, and to be honest, i wouldnt trust it to leave them outside.... :cry:
HELP.

hey, are you using a different washing machine now? Sounds like its not got an efficient spin cycle on it. I would do an extra spin cycle, they are usually only 20-30 minutes long and use minimal electric.

i do an extra spin but if your washer doesnt have one i wouldnt know what too recomend maybe try ringing them out before hanging them on the airer, or putting them in the airing cubbard if you have one its warmer in there?

I would definitely see if your machine has the option to do a spin on its own, and do one or maybe even two extra spins. We used to have a very old machine and I found that it does make a big difference.

Do you have one of those big cupboards with the boiler in it? I used to hang my bamboo nappies in there and they would dry in about 24 hours. It's always warm because even though the heating isn't on, the hot water is stored in there. I got my FIL to put some shelves in there, but mostly used those hangers with the little pegs on them, hung from the door. I left the cupboard door slightly ajar to let some fresh air in / the wet air out.

Also, I bet this time of year is the worst for drying stuff cos it's too warm for the heating to be on, but not always that warm still. It'll get better!

I put mine on an extra spin they come out virtually dry. If the amchine has an extra spin put it on that, even if it isn't as fast as the one your mum has.

Yeah its an old machine, my parents got a new one last summer for their new house and this one we had in the old house, its quite old actually. I will check about seeing if it has an extra spin, im just worried about running up big bills!
I dont have an airing cupboard, i do have a cupboard where the boiler is tho, i will check it to see if its suitable, it pretty horrible old tank tho - you know what rented properties are like! so i dunno if theres bugs or things in there?!

I do a extra spin with all my washing and havent noticed a difference in my bills but saying that I also use a tumble dryer which is suppose to be expensive, but as i've always had one never noticed that either :wacko:

good luck - x

An extra spin on my machine only takes about 15 mins and will use less electric than having the heating on

okay, ill try that and see how it goes, if the machine has one! otherwise i need a new machine or new nappies!

I have a heated airer - not cheap but was an absolute life saver during the winter! I don't know how I would have coped without it. It dries my nappies well quick - I have it switched on during the day but turn it off before I go to bed, and they're all dry in the morning.

Thats something to think about, But not affordable for me just now.

I left them all again today and tonight the inserts were still all wet, So i put them onto the radiators and put the heating on, I Have hardly any nappies for tomorrow! Prob gonna have to use some disposables, I am so annoyed. Only other thing is going to my mums once a week or twice and doing them there with the spin on her machine, and an extra spin setting. *cry*

What kind of nappies do you mostly have? When I didn't have a dryer I had to use mostly microfibre... bamboo took about three days hanging on racks, even next to a radiator, unless they were in the hot water tank cupboard.

Is line drying really not an option?
I thought the same as you about hanging nappies out, but then i thought noone here would know what to do with one :rofl:

hmmm.. its really quite open onto lots of peoples gardens, no fences or that, i just wouldnt trust it, i could always 'plan' nappy days and sit out there if its nice, but its just a hassle. id worry! unless i hung them out at my mums, but then thats still doign the driev to her twice a week the same as if i use her machine! i might just have too, at least once a week go to hers and wash and line dry, so annoying, i thought of everything when moving exept this!

Instead of putting stuff outside, could you hang stuff right next to open windows? Even if you don't get the sun, you might get a bit of a breeze.

I have a communal garden and washing lines shared with 5 other families but the gardens as a whole everybody can see each others. theres probably a good 10 or more blocks around my bit.
I can see the lines from my window so i just peek out every once in a while.

Once summer comes and it gets really hot, everything will be dr within an hour or two anyways :D

Do you have a balcony by any chance?

Nope, ground floor flat, Can try by the window, but the only one almost always open is the kitchen and its above the sink, bit of a nightmare. In summer when im in the garden yeah its fine, (getting a paddling pool etc,) but its just now its that inbetween stage, in winter the heating will be on more, so again should be fine. will put in a wash tomorrow and see if i can figure out this extra spin, theres no clear insturctions tho so im not sure!

I have communal drying greens too, so I just peek out every so often to check my washing.

:haha: Like anyone would want to steal nappies anyway :dohh: lol. Failing that I have a balcony, but if you don't that'd be a pain! Not really sure what to suggest. I mostly hang my nappies on the airer next to the radiator and they dry pretty quickly. I do a washing every day though so I've always got usable nappies (I wash the previous day's nappies and his night nappy in the morning, so they have all day and night to dry before I need them again)

Sorry this was probably useless! :lol:

i mainly radiator my nappies tbh, even one hour in the morning and one at night should be ok to get them mostly dry i would think, if they are bamboo just put a towel on the radiator first so they dont burn

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->