Natal hypnotherapy without the course

duffers

Reaction score
Hello all,

Dose anyone have any experience of using the Natal Hypnotherapy CDs without going on the course?

We did the Marie Mongan Natal Hypnotherapy course for Esme's birth and I've started listening to the CDs again but I'm not getting on so well with them this time. Esme's birth didn't go to plan (failed home birth due to possible meconium, emotional transfer to hospital, augmentation, classic cascade of intervention) and I think I've slightly lost faith in them. I still have the book and my file of info though.

A friend has given me the Natal Hypnotherapy course CDs and I like them. Do you think we could get as good a result with just the CDs and our previous knowledge?

Warm wishes to everyone.

Hey,

I'm not sure whether you're referring to Marie Mongan's 'Hypnobirthing' course, or Maggie Howell's 'Natal Hypnotherapy' course as both are different. I have been using the Natal Hypnotherapy pregnancy relaxation cd since 12 weeks and I have found it to be highly effective. I've just started the Birth Preparation cd and using it alongside the Effective Birth Preparation book (which you can get from Amazon) has worked well for me without the need for the extra expense of the workshop.

My labour is unfortunately going to be highly medicalised as I am being induced early, am GBS+ so no labouring in water and I'm also allergic to opioids so the only physical pain relief I can have is gas and air! But, I do have faith that the Natal Hypnotherapy will work, I really hope so anyway!

I've used the Maggie Howells Natal Hypnotherapy (the 4 cd programme and book), albeit with the course. As Taramum said, Marie Mongan's programme is called hypnobirthing. It is a US programme, and I have to say that I didn't get along with it at all. I decided against that in favour of Natal Hypnotherapy. I can assure you that the NH course, whilst great for consolidating what you've learnt and perhaps instilling some confidence, doesn't give you any more information than the book and the cds. I would recommend scraping the money together if you can at all, just because the confidence it instills is worth every penny, but I don't think you HAVE to do the course to get results. I'd also suggest that you take a look at the videos they show in the course. Hang fire for a mo, and I'll post a link to a post with the videos in... If you have any more questions, give me a shout. HTH

ETA: Linkey with the videos in. I was like the twins lady (2nd video) at about the 2min mark, for most of the early part of my labour, and then towards the end, ended up like the first video, sleeping between with just a change in breathing during ctx. When my body started pushing, then I went back to the "twin lady"'s (!) appearance. HTH :)

@Taramum - It does work - I'm living proof. I had a fantastic natural labour and home birth, with no drugs at all in sight, and no pain either (even though NH don't say that the aim of the game is no pain, but rather comfortable birthing). I would recommend lots of practice. Not that it's exactly hard work though, listening to the cds! That way, when the time comes, your mind and body will be ready :) HTH!

Solitaire89, that's all über positive! I suppose I'm a little worried as induced labours are more painful than natural ones but I'm trying not to think about it, it will only reinforce the whole negativity-fear-pain cycle!

I'm absolutely 100% certain that the NH programme is responsible for all my totally healthy cravings this time round ;)

I'm doing natal hypnotherapy, but I do plan to take the course more for my husband's benefit than mine. I want him to have the experience of practicing hypnotherapy himself and seeing birth videos where it's been used (our course nearby here is a mix of instruction, practice and videos with a qualified instructor). I agree, in our case, we probably are more doing it for the confidence-building than anything else as I get the techniques from doing the CD, and I think it's good to hear things repeated in as many different ways as you can to really master them. It sounds like that's something that might help you too. But basically, what I wanted to say is to get the Effective Birth Preparation book that goes with the CDs if you don't have it already. It was a really compact, but empowering read. Probably one of the best, most straightforward books on natural birth I've read (and I've read a lot). Also, you don't have to do the full weekend course. We're just doing the one-day Natural Pain Relief session, which is £95.

Thanks so much for your replies ladies.
I'd love to do the natal hypnotherapy course but having already spent £300 on the Marie Mongan hypnobirthing course last time round I'd love to be able to rely on the natal hypnotherapy books/CDs alone, without doing another course.

Off to buy some essentail oils today. Very excited about getting started.

I'll have a look at those videos now - thanks again
:thumbup:

I did the natal hypnotherapy with dd, it worked really well even though I was in hospital and induced in the end

I have just finished the natal hypnotherapy book and already feel more relaxed and confident about the birth. I am going to buy the CD soon but probably not do the course as we are already paying out for NCT classes and don't really want the additional expense. I think you can apply the theories yourself and as long as your OH is onboard, practice at home.

Just wanted to add that I've now posted my Natal Hypnotherapy birth story - Linkey Here!

I would have found it useful to have read more birth stories from normal women who used Natal Hypnotherapy, so I thought I'd post the link here for you. Enjoy!

Thanks, solitaire89! That was a fabulous read! We are going for our course tomorrow, so it's inspiring to hear your story now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->