Natural birth in a hospital

happyintexas

Reaction score
When I first found out I was pregnant, my husband and I wanted a home birth with a midwife- but there was only one in our area that I was comfortable with and she was not available. So we settled with a birthing center.. I loved the midwives there, and was looking forward to our birth. At my 5 month checkup I found out I have something up with my heart and long story short the birth center pretty much said- we can't keep ya. Soooo, now I'm stuck delivering in a hospital. My heart issue is pretty much that I have an irregular beat- and lots of palpitations but they cannot figure out WHY, so they want me in a hospital where I can be monitored since they don't know how my body will react to labor.
The pregnancy has gone perfectly aside from that- and natural birth is extremely important to me. I do not want an epi, I do not want pitocin, I honestly just want to be left the heck alone and be allowed to labor and birth as unassisted as possible! Does anyone have any suggestions on making my dream of a natural birth in a hospital a reality????

Thanks!

My hopes were the same. My desire for a natural birth was supported 100% by the doctors and most importantly the nurses. They're the ones you'll be interfacing with during your labor. I think it is very possible to have a natural birth at a hospital if you're well prepared. 2 books that helped me tremendously:
Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

Talk to your doctor and the nurses during your prenatal visits...they will be able to tell you what your hospital is like as far as being supportive and encouraging of natural birth, and ask their advice on how to be successful.

I'm at the same boat , at first I was convinced to have a HB but now I don't feel the same anymore . Just changed my mind , I have all the support but I personally don't want to have HB anymore. I will have the baby in the hospital naturally . What will help you is to write a birth plan , I will do the same. I have had my 2nd. son in the hospital without epidural but they still induced me. My first son was with all the drugs but I can tell you it is a huge difference having a baby without a drugs is possible even in the hospital . I will have my midwifes with me in the hospital so I feel better . But if you have a good doctor it can be done. good luck

I am in a very similar position, though am not 'high risk'. Are you in the US?

I also want as unmedicated a birth as possible, and the hospital I have chosen, along with my Dr. has a REALLY high rate for epidurals. I didn't realize how high when I selected them in the beginning. I haven't gone through labor yet, but this is my plan.

1. I hired a Doula - to help me cope with the pain, and to be a back-up voice for me to make sure my wishes are met.

2. Go in educated and resolute in your beliefs. Be very clear with yourself about what YOU want and what the doctors are likely to offer/say/insist so that you can be prepared to not have to rely on them for all of your decisions.

3. NEVER FORGET that you can say "no". My phrase that I have clung to (and have coached my DH to say is "OK, and what happens if we DON'T do that?".

4. Surround yourself only with people who will be supportive and encouraging of un-medicated birth. Hopefully, your DH is on board with you, because the doctor and nursing staff may not be. But, if you have your own support group, then you will be fine.

5. Have confidence that you CAN and WILL be just fine, and that you can have an unmedicated birth, even in a hospital setting.

So...hopefully this will work out for me (it is my plan!)!!!

hospital births can still be natural if you want....

my daughters was pretty much natural, i had gas and air..... just write in your birth plan specifically what your after and they should accept that.... im hoping for water birth at hospital this time :)

good luck xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->