Natural birth

Faerie

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Last time I would've like a natural birth, but I found out that I would have to be induced early when I was 12 weeks (was induced at 37) and so pretty much knew it wouldn't happen.

This time I will be having a natural birth, partly through choice and partly because in France you don't have a choice, ha ha. No gas and air and they are very against pain relief. They are all for letting things go naturally (ie not early induction unless absolutely medically neccessary), which is all great but.... this time I'm really scared!!

I'm pretty sure that even though I was induced early part of the reason I never dilated beyond 3cms (in 21 hours) was because I was mentally blocking it. I knew Sofia had to be operated on and was scared and I think I wanted to keep her safe inside me :blush:

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to explain. I really would like some good relaxation tips, things I can start practicing now.

We are having (all being well) a Home Birth and have been doing Hypnobirthing sessions which have really helped.

If you would like, I can copy the material and CDs for you and send over to you. More than happy to as I have found it really helpful.

Can also recommend a few books too :hugs:

xxx

Thank you, that's really sweet of you! I'd be very happy to hear your book suggestions. It would probably cost a lot to send stuff here xxx

I used natal hypnotherapy and TENS - it was fantastic!

I had a shot of pethidine once during contractions, but more so I could rest as I hadn't slept for 3 nights and I needed to sleep but obviously using tens and hypnotherapy I couldn't sleep!

I got a couple of hours of light on and off sleep and then it wore off, but I actually gave birth with no pain relief, just used the hypnotherapy, I started to push at 4am and she came at 5.40am, so only 1hr 40mins for my first baby wasn't too bad!

I didn't tear on the main bit, just a minor one on the labia I think its called? So they said i could leave it or stitch it.....well i had just given birth with no pain relief but the thought of 2 stitches was awful so I had gas and air :blush: Wish I didn't cos it was horrendous and I puked my guts up!

I had a natural birth in the midwife-led birthing centre- didnt have anything apart from a puff of gas and air for the pushing (I did 3 pushes!). I refused even the paracetamol...

Breathing! It was key to me staying sane. Wholly focused on my breathing and relaxing, which distracted me from pain...also the water was amazing for taking alot of the pain away....I had a lovely birth pool, and laboured in the water...gave birth on my knees out the water and pulled abigail through my legs onto my chest...:cloud9:

EEEEEKS! Your so brave!!! I had a 100% natural birth the first time. No gas or nothing!!! I think that it was a bit different for me because I wanted the drugs and baby was coming out no matter what I wanted!!! I Cussed A LOT! :rofl: and then my dr. said "you can push or you can scream at me... 1 of those options isn't going to make the pain go away" so I was like grrrrrr and I just pushed!!!!! I went through most of my labor at home... and I think that helped a LOT because I was watching tv with the parents and talking like normal... and I was in pain... but I wasn't thinking about it... I think once you go into the hospital then your concentrating on the pain more!!

Whew that was Long! Sorry!

I laboured completely naturally with not even paracetamol until 8cms when transition hit and mw decided to give me some pethidine to "help me through" without even asking me.:growlmad: It did nothing except made me really sleepy between contractions.
If you go to the homebirthers and hopefuls group under BNB groups there many many ladies who have done it all natural and quite a few used hypnobirthing which they found really helpful.

Well done you.
You can do it, and I hope (compared to your induction) that this birth could be a fantastic experience for you.
There is a book (it's a bit dated - but well worth a read!!) called 'Childbirth without fear' by Grantly Dick-Read.
He is an amazing man, who really believes in women and their ability to birth naturally.
It's also worth you having a read up on anything by Michel Odent - he is a French Dr who became very interested in the natural birth process and has since become the 'Godfather' of Doula's and all things natural!!

It's also worth making sure that you are completely de-briefed from your 1st birth experience. It would be so wonderful for you to go into this birth without any fears or worries or memories of your first labour haunting you.
It's amazing what re-reading your notes, having a chat and a little cry can do to let go of any pent up anguish you may have about your last birth :hugs:

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore book references of if you'd like to chat a bit more xxxx

I can recommend hypnobirthing too! I had a fast, completely natural home birth. I also used the bath till transition, and would consider a water birth next time.

Hey, I'm kinda gatecrashing the natural parenting section! I used gas and air on my first 2, but my youngest I had a completely natural birth, not even a parecetamol! It was by far the best of my 3 labours, and unlike with the gas and air, I can remember it all and wasnt fuzzy headed, so felt in complete control!

I'm planning to go natural again this time, tho hoping to take the intensity off the pain with a birth pool and i've ordered some cd's from natal-hypnotherapy to listen to! I'm pretty sure France was on their shipping list! I've heard very good things from women who have used them :)

Well done you.
You can do it, and I hope (compared to your induction) that this birth could be a fantastic experience for you.
There is a book (it's a bit dated - but well worth a read!!) called 'Childbirth without fear' by Grantly Dick-Read.
He is an amazing man, who really believes in women and their ability to birth naturally.
It's also worth you having a read up on anything by Michel Odent - he is a French Dr who became very interested in the natural birth process and has since become the 'Godfather' of Doula's and all things natural!!

It's also worth making sure that you are completely de-briefed from your 1st birth experience. It would be so wonderful for you to go into this birth without any fears or worries or memories of your first labour haunting you.
It's amazing what re-reading your notes, having a chat and a little cry can do to let go of any pent up anguish you may have about your last birth :hugs:

Feel free to PM me if you need anymore book references of if you'd like to chat a bit more xxxx

Umm, just reading your post made me cry, aargh, hormones!

I *think* that the UK is the only place in Europe that even allows gas and air? I know it's certainly banned in France, Switzerland and Italy which were the 3 places I have considered giving birth in.

As far as I understand in France an epidural is hardly ever used (certainly at the clinic I'm going to) and pethadine etc is not used at all. My consultant said that the above leads to more labours ending in difficulty and forcep births etc.

I guess in some ways it's almost better to know there's not the option.

Last time my contractions came on really quick and fast on the oxytocin and then stayed like that without actually doing anything, grrr :growlmad: But I did find the TENS really helpful for the first 10 hours or so. They don't have those here either, would have to order one from the UK.

Your water births sound great :flower:

Unfortunately that's not an option for me, though I can be in the bath for a lot of the time.

I'm hoping to be at home for as much as possible. There's a huge chance hubby won't be here and I don't have any family about, so I'm trying to investigate getting a doula.

Sorry hun :hugs:
It's just that I had a pretty traumatic birth, but with the help of a de-brief and lots of support, you can work through it and it feels soooooo much better as it kind of feels like a weight lifted IYKWIM??

It may well be worth enquiring about a Doula too?? Or at least a female friend who is very understanding and can help support you and your partner. I think us ladies have an understanding that only women who've been through it can understand? As in, I don't think anyone can ever explain the intensity of emotion, you need to experience it?? (Hope that makes sense!!)

Whatever you decide - good luck, and know that we are all here for you :flower:

You don't need to be frightened of not having any pain relief.
Statistically, 2nd births are the 'easiest' as your body knows what to do, (even if you never had a vaginal delivery-so long as you dilated a little).

It's worth trying to be 'mind over matter'. Hypnobirthing has many excellent reports and can be practiced at home, without a practitioner.
You could consider aromatherapy too - Clary Sage for example, has wonderful relaxing properties xx

i used natal hynotherapy, they have a fab book and cd. i had a home birth and had nothing until mw got here and i was already 7 cms. then i had gas and air. would def recomend the natal hypnotherapy!

Sorry hun :hugs:
It's just that I had a pretty traumatic birth, but with the help of a de-brief and lots of support, you can work through it and it feels soooooo much better as it kind of feels like a weight lifted IYKWIM??

It may well be worth enquiring about a Doula too?? Or at least a female friend who is very understanding and can help support you and your partner. I think us ladies have an understanding that only women who've been through it can understand? As in, I don't think anyone can ever explain the intensity of emotion, you need to experience it?? (Hope that makes sense!!)

Whatever you decide - good luck, and know that we are all here for you :flower:

It actually makes a lot of sense. Just last weekend my DH said to me that maybe the reason I never progressed was because I was mentally blocking it, and that's what got me thinking about all of this. It was really random of him to come out with it suddenly 1+ year on but perhaps he thought it was too raw still beforehand.

So now I'm thinking maybe even having counselling would help. I just hadn't really thought about it properly, but I would hate my past experiences to cloud this birth. We have only just been given the all clear that this baby is ok and so I'm still adjusting to the fact that I'm actually pregnant, was in denial before!

I have a very good friend who lives in the next village, and I would be comfortable with her being around, but as she has a baby the same age as Sofia you never know what might happen ie hers being sick that day, so I think having a doula would be a good plan.

No idea where to start looking for one! I posted in the local expat forum asking and no one responded.

Ok, I'm such a doofus, I just found the French doula directory. There's one that covers my area, but she covers a massive area so better contact her quick!

Im still pregnant with my 1st, so i cant speak from experience (yet!) but ive read a wide range of books- and there are 2 that have really stood out to me:

Ina May's guide to childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. Its a bit hippy-fied but a lot of the stuff made sense & has reassured me in my body's ability to do this!

The second one is "Birth skills: proven pain management techniques for your labour and birth" by Juju sundin. I rented this from the library, and have renewed it 3 times! and plan on continuing to read it till baby is here! Its all about active labour, and things that you can do to help yourself during labour. Ive even made hubby read it too! The techniques make so much sense, and ive even noticed that some of the things she mentions... i do when in pain anyway!! eg she talks about using movement to distract urself... i always wiggle my toes when having an internal/smear! lol (i know thats nothing compared to labour tho!!). It makes you realise you can do things to help the pain, instead of just sitting there and letting it drown you.

Hope they help?!
x

Thank you, that's really sweet of you! I'd be very happy to hear your book suggestions. It would probably cost a lot to send stuff here xxx

It wouldn't cost much at all to send some paper and a CD over so if you would like it I am more than happy to :)

I listened to our CD last night when we went to bed and it was so incredibly relaxing....so much so, I fell asleep :blush:

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->