Natural pain relief techniques.. have I missed any?

Angel2Fire

Reaction score
I'm starting to think about pain relief, and I'm determined to go as long as possible (or all the way if I can) without an epidural or pethedine.

I've thought of the following things to try, and I was wondering if anyone has had any success with them, or can think of any others that might be helpful:

Tens machine
Oil burner with lavendar and clary sage
Hypnotherapy birth preperation CD
Lazy daisy birthing techniques classes

Have I missed anything?

Thanks for reading :)

Water? Bath or pool.
Massage?
Moving around, using a birthing ball?

I watched Bill Bailey whilst in the pool - fab pain relief, heh.

I thought about having a bath, but I don't want a birthing pool because I don't really like being in water.

I don't think my husband would be any good at massage lol, but I will be moving around unless I have to have constant monitoring, I've learnt some good moves from the lazy daising birthing classes and will be doing these if I can. I also have a birthing ball but its not been blown up yet.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

WATER! = natures epidural. I know you mentioned you didn't like the bath, but in labor you just never know what you'll like and what you dont like. So at least make it an option. If you dont want it whilist laboring, then dont use it, but if you do want it, it would be horrible for you not to have it! At least give yourself the option. And a bath is very different from say a shower. I recommend at least having both as an option, if at all possible. I know i could not have done my unmedicated births without water (though i know people have different feelings, thats just mine, and so far ive done it twice). Get yourself one of those shower heads that you can hook up and take off to spray against your lower back and that sort of thing. They are cheap and a God-send. Being in the shower is good too since it puts you in a good position to put the baby in.
If you decide to utilize the bath, try not to get in until you are in active labor (4CM or more). If you get in before then it can slow labor. But showering you can get in anytime since you'll be upright.

I would purchase a heating pad.
get large socks and put tennis balls in them (then you can have someone hold each end and rub it on your back).
I got one of those cheap massage thingys that vibrate.
Rice pack.
comfort food/drink
lots of pillows.
support person that understands the natural process (VERY important)
birth ball.
massage/essential oils.

Have your support person watch youtube videos on counter pressure and hip squeezes :winkwink:

music
DOULA!

i would learn how to utilize the birth ball (again youtube is invaluable :thumbup:). But i wouldn't worry too much about "learning" how to move and that sort of thing during birth because if you are unmedicated and able to do what you desire, your natural instincts will kick in and you'll do what your body and your baby need you to do.

I'm with you on the no water!!! Doesn't feel "right" to me at all.

Otherwise...

"nothing"

That's what I'm doing. Making no plans! This is what my body is made for, I'm not going to focus on the pain. I'm just going to tune into my body and mind and listen to my instincts to make it throughl I figure there is some primal, animal part deep inside of me that knows how to do this - I just have to tune in and find it!! xxx

Otherwise...

"nothing"

That's what I'm doing. Making no plans! This is what my body is made for, I'm not going to focus on the pain. I'm just going to tune into my body and mind and listen to my instincts to make it throughl I figure there is some primal, animal part deep inside of me that knows how to do this - I just have to tune in and find it!! xxx

Are you having a homebirth or a hospital birth?

Otherwise...

"nothing"

No idea yet. I did want a hospital birth at first but the past few weeks I have been swaying towards a home birth. I am under consultant care for other reasons so might discuss it with the consultant next week xx

The Lazy Daisy moves will really help. Especially the rotate to dilate x

Otherwise...

"nothing"

No idea yet. I did want a hospital birth at first but the past few weeks I have been swaying towards a home birth. I am under consultant care for other reasons so might discuss it with the consultant next week xx

Good luck with everything! I just want to warn you that I went into my first birth like you: no plans..........and it ended up in a c-section :( so this time I am planning like crazy so that I can do everything in my power to avoid another one.

Change positions a lot, whenever you feel something isnt working for you just try something else! And dont let anyone break your focus. I kinda wish I would have told people to shove it, shut up, and leave me alone lol

Find out if your hospital offers water shots. Its just sterile water they can inject into the top layer of the skin on your back to alleviate back labor

if hes not good at massage look up counter pressure relief technics on the computer, knee's and around your hips can be a godsend when in labor pains!

A lot of pain is from tension created by fear. You know how something doesn't hurt as much when you don't see it coming? Same concept. Try to mentally prepare so that you're not fearful of childbirth. There are hypnotherapy techniques for this. I'm using Hypnobabies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->