NCT ante natal classes advice? ARE they right?

mummypeanut

baby due march 10th
Reaction score
The antenatal teacher doesnt seem at all pro-cloth nappies but she said if we were planning on using them we should use disposables for the first 2 weeks until the baby has got into a normal pooing routine.

Has anyway used cloth from birth? How did you deal with the meconium, because the teacher was kinda making out you would never clean it off for love nor money!

Is it more sensible to use disposables short term until you're getting normal breast/bottle feeding poo's?

xx

the mec is really very sticky and it would be hard to wash out of cloth, also it is tough physically and emotionally those first few weeks disposables allow you a bit of a breather and allow you to adjust.

i used the vouchers i got with baby clubs, and magazines etc to purchase newborn nappies and haven't brought anymore since (did get given some - but used these between xmas and new year)

I know alot of moms that used cloth from birth and would just put liners, either fleece or disposable to protect from the meconium

From what I've read, meconium is unpleasant to deal with, but, unlike BF poo, doesn't actually stain. I'm planning on using muslins and disposable liners for the meconium poos. That way, I'm not risking any expensive nappies. I'll then switch to fleece liners once the meconium is out of the way.

Ill be using cloth from birth, I had been going to use some disposables for the first week or two but Ive bought so many nappies it seems silly not to use them and it wont matter if a few do get ruined.
I will use disposable liners for the meconium stage and I wont be using my 'expensive' nappies the first couple of weeks. I do have a few packs of disposables if I HAVE to use them but dont plan on it!
I also have more muslin cloths than I know what to do with so again if I start using the small cloth nappies and they dont work Ill go onto muslins before resorting to disposables.

Should add, not first baby and intending to have homebirth...:) If I end up in hospital I will be using disposables there.

I used eco-disposables at first. I planned to only use them for a week or so but those first few weeks really are quite a whirlwind, plus with what happened with Jack's birth neither DH or I were really up for doing extra laundry so we ended up using the 'sposies for about 5 weeks.

I ended up in hospital for 3 days and used sposies there - I didn't want my Dh having to worry about taking dirties home, washing them etc. When we came home I still couldn't do much coz I lost a lot of blood and was very weak so G was about 10 days old bfore we went fully to cloth.

I plan on using eco disposables in hospital and for a day or two, then using muslins and disposable liners after that.

Depending on your baby, the meconium stage doesn't always last too long- we were discharged from the hospital when Emma was 2 1/2 days old and she was on to the "transitional poop" by then so we went straight to cloth when we went home, using disposable liners for the first couple days.

We used cloth from birth no problem, washed them at 60 and no stains or muck left on them

We used cloth from birth, I only stayed in hospital for one night but we had agreed OH would take the nappies home. We always use biodegradeable liners anyway so they caught the meconium, it didn't stain any of our nappies unlike the bright green poo we had last week!! We actually bought our nappies from a lady who had decided to use disposables for the first week.......they had never been used. Cloth really isn't hard work, 2 mins a day to chuck in washer and 5 to hang out. I feel really proud that Helen has only ever worn a disposable twice although we do own a pack of pampers just in case!

im gonna use cloth with my next LO but I'll use disposables for the first week or so. Meconium is DISGUSTING. It's seriously like tar :shock:

I was *lucky* as my LO passed all the meconium whilst being born! But I used disposibles whilst in hospital as I didn't want to send dirty nappies home each night (and I was in for 3) but as soon as we were going home he used them and was fine! They just gave him a massive butt!!

I used eco disposables for the first two weeks as I just couldn't cope with the washing while I was walking like John Wayne!

Also, slightly off topic, but if you rub a bit of olive/grapeseed oil onto baby's bum, the meconium comes off really easily.

Harley was in sposies for a few days whilst in hospital but they bought him out in a rash so as soon as we got home he was straight into washables i just made sure we had plenty of liners to hand. xx

Thanks to everyone for thier replies.

I think by the sound of it we will try cloth and liners if i get my home birth and disposables if we are in hospital.

The lady in the cloth shop said there was no point in using liners with BF poo because its so wet anyway. She said just to chuck them straight in the washing machine - no rinsing or anything

Does anyone have any opinions on that?

The lady in the cloth shop said there was no point in using liners with BF poo because its so wet anyway. She said just to chuck them straight in the washing machine - no rinsing or anything

That's what we did :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for thier replies.

I think by the sound of it we will try cloth and liners if i get my home birth and disposables if we are in hospital.

Yep us too :thumbup: We tried using liners but the poo 'slid' right off :dohh: So i'm saving the hundreds of disposable liners we bought for when we start to wean! I put the nappies in a (dry) nappy pail then transfer them straight into the washing machine and wash at 40 degrees and so far it's working well for us :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->