Need breech birth and c-section experiences/reassurances

mayacat

Reaction score
So nothing's a guarantee right now, but I'm a worrier. What is for sure is baby is sitting in a nice reclined position, comfortably breech. I'm hoping to hear back from an OB at the hospital this week to get an appointment to try to turn bubs around very soon. He's apparently good at it, but if he can't get baby to turn, my two options are breech birth or c-section. I am happy with neither option, but will gladly do whatever is safest to get baby out when it's time.

My mom had two c-sections because my one sibling was a footling breech and it was the early 90's, so the baby after that was a section too. She obviously survived just fine and both siblings ended up happy and healthy. The idea still makes me nervous though. It's major surgery, I would have very little control over the situation (at least I think less so than I would with a natural birth), I'd be in the hospital longer, just there are a bunch of things I'm not happy thinking about.

As for a breech birth, if the baby ends up a frank breech, I've been told this is a possibility too. This just sounds to me like a 3rd degree tear waiting to happen. Especially if this baby does end up over 8lbs like we think it might be (genetics...). I will take any and all stories about anybody who has done this!

I really don't want to plan a c-section. I've been all psyched about going into labour naturally, if possible and gotten myself ready for pushing and everything, but silly monkey has thrown a wrench in my ideas.

It's still possible baby can be turned, so this worrying could be for nothing, but I'd still like to get some stories and reassurances now to make me a bit more prepared! As my OB said, we're going to end up with a happy, bouncing baby at the end, regardless! Just trying to feel better about the possibilities in the meantime...

My second daughter was a (planned) vagnal breech birth. She was Frank breech from 25 weeks and wouldn't budge despite every possible attempt to turn her. My local hospital wasn't breech friendly which was the most stressful part. Once I decided to switch to a breech friendly hospital where I was surrounded by Drs and midwives assuring me that breech was normal and they were all experienced with breech births it definitely gave me the confidence to birth her easily.
My labour was swift and I didn't tear (one small graze after a prior 2nd degree tear).

This site is a wonderful resource https://www.mybreechbaby.org/birth-stories.html whether you decide to go vaginalnor cesarean. Reading birth stories definitely helped me a lot , just to know that I was on a path that countless women before me had also been on. Also knowing that statistically the mode of delivery had no long term differences for breech. Yes vaginal breech babies often had more short term issues (mainly being a bit stunned or mucousy lungs etc that clear up within a few hours or days) but mortality and serious injury rates are basically the same for vaginal and cesarean. It made me feel like whatever I did wouldn't be the wrong decision for my baby and gave me more freedom to make the decision that felt best for me.

My second daughter was a (planned) vagnal breech birth. She was Frank breech from 25 weeks and wouldn't budge despite every possible attempt to turn her. My local hospital wasn't breech friendly which was the most stressful part. Once I decided to switch to a breech friendly hospital where I was surrounded by Drs and midwives assuring me that breech was normal and they were all experienced with breech births it definitely gave me the confidence to birth her easily.
My labour was swift and I didn't tear (one small graze after a prior 2nd degree tear).

This site is a wonderful resource https://www.mybreechbaby.org/birth-stories.html whether you decide to go vaginalnor cesarean. Reading birth stories definitely helped me a lot , just to know that I was on a path that countless women before me had also been on. Also knowing that statistically the mode of delivery had no long term differences for breech. Yes vaginal breech babies often had more short term issues (mainly being a bit stunned or mucousy lungs etc that clear up within a few hours or days) but mortality and serious injury rates are basically the same for vaginal and cesarean. It made me feel like whatever I did wouldn't be the wrong decision for my baby and gave me more freedom to make the decision that felt best for me.

OK, that makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully baby will turn, but that's good to know that it doesn't really matter either way if it doesn't. I'm going to go visit that site. Thanks :)

Hi! My Ds was a breech c/s delivery. We found out at 40 weeks on the dot. After my initial disappointment and nerves I was very excited to meet my son! It was a really lovely experience. I got skin to skin and breastfeeding was not an issue. I was a bit scared but the drs were so calm, the entire atmosphere was very very calm and then once my son was out I couldn't think about anything else :happydance:

Looks like I will be having a second breech c/s in four or so weeks. I'm a little nervous but hoping for the same calm experience!

Good luck!! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->