Need help buying for baby please

norahbattie

Reaction score
As the title of the thread, we are officially the most disorganised parents to be under the planet!
We have nothing for baby!!! I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant and we have bought nothing!!

I was wondering if ladies (or gentlemen) can recommend a lightweight pushchair/travel system. I did look at the sola but have heard bad things about it too.
Also which cot/Moses basket, what do we realistically need for the first month??

Please help!!!!!

We have got the baby jogger city mini which feels so light when I push it around the house :) got the carry cot to go with it and then the cabriofix car set which clips on it. Baby not here yet, but sofa really pleased without choice.

As for Moses basket/cot we got both second hand. I think places like asda do them reasonably. Don't forget the stand. Also, choose between a cot bed or a cot. We go a cot so will need to buy a bed when baby move on to one, whereas with a cot bed you can just adapt it!

In terms of travel system you should go to toys r us or mothercare and try the ones there- there is no substitute for trying them out.
You can pick up Moses basket from same shop. If you have lots of room in your bedroom then you could buy a cot and just use that from birth.alternatively pop onto Facebook and ask friends if any if them have one you can borrow then you only need to buy a mattress (£8 from mothercare for Moses basket mattress)

Then you need to buy a pack or two of newborn (up to 10lbs) vests, Babygros, some scratch mitts, newborn nappies and a cardigan. If you are bottle feeding you need to buy bottles and a steriliser.

Good luck - oh you need to buy some maternity pads and breast pads fir yourself too!

Fr the first month, though, you shouldn't need the cot, just the Moses basket. Have you started stocking up on nappy things/things for you/a few clothes bits for baby?dont forget the bedding for the Moses basket/blankets etc for the pram. If you want I can type up what we have all together, but beware - I am majorly organised (a bit of an organisational freak!!).

We are going with a cot bed from day 1 with baby in his own room (but we will be sleeping in that room for the first month as my parents are staying with us). We got a 3 in 1 Graco Evo travel system for the pram/stroller/car seat. I posted this the other day in another thread where someone was asking a similar question, this is what we have for baby, also take a look on mumsnet for reviews, it helped me a lot when deciding what to buy:

- Cot bed (with changing table attachment on the top)
- 3 in 1 travel system pram (pram, stroller, car seat)
- Rio Concord baby rocker
- A large stash of cloth nappies (about 30 in size 1, 15 in size 2) with inserts & wraps, plus a nappy pail
-Newborn disposable nappies (about 4 packs)
-Baby wipes (about 12 packs) - got a great deal off Amazon with the disposables & wipes
- Cotton wool (for wiping baby when he is a new born)
- Oodles of clothes in new born, 0-3 months, 3-6 months sizes (probably too many!)
- Changing bag
- Nursing pillow
- 3 pairs of sheets for the crib plus a bedding bundle (blanket, bumpers, sheets, coverlet)
- Lots of knitted blankets
- Dummies
- Electric breast pump & bottles + microwave steriliser kit
- Baby monitor
- Gro Egg room temp thing
- Baby shampoo, talc, creams, thermometer
- Sleeping bags (for when he is a bit older) & swaddles
- Toys, books (gifts from baby shower)
- Baby bath & towel set plus additional towel

We are so underprepared with our first bambino, she is due in 5 weeks from now but at last my midwife she was already engaged and entered into the pelvis by a 1/5th at 34 weeks. Well I can definitely feel her dropping even more since last Friday as I can get my entire hand between boobies and top of bump so this little one may be making an appearance slightly earlier than we thought.

Now the problem is, my mother is very superstitious and didn't want to buy anything, so we didn't because my sister had alot of things like cot etc and was going to hand them down. Well mum put them in the basement and the whole lot became water damaged!!!! So now with potentially less than 5 weeks to go, we have nothing but a car seat, came with our new car, and a travel system, we opted for the cosatto giggle but i don't know if this is the right choice....we wanted something lightweight.

I am frantically trying to read reviews on what to get for the little one and what we need for the first month or so....can you please help point me in the right direction

Thanks

You need somewhere for them to sleep, moses basket/crib/cot. Somewhere to sit, bouncy chair/swing. Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding? If bottle feeding, bottles, steriliser, bottle brush, can normally buy a bottle feeding starting set, then you need some formula. Clothes, basics, sleep suits/vests/a few hats/scratch mits/socks, then any outfits you like, get newborn and 0-3. Blankets for sleeping and in pram. Sheets for crib/cot. Nappies/wipes/flannels/toiletry kit. Muslins/burp cloths. How are you going to bath baby? Baby bath? Top and tail bowl. Monitors for when baby is asleep. If you need everything urgently, go to babies r us/mothercare, somewhere like that and you'll be able to get pretty much everything you need, just not always the best prices, depends how bothered you are about shopping round x

We have just bought our travel system, the Britax Affinity which I am so chuffed with. We also liked the mee-go which was very clever, the carry cot converts to the pram seat so very space saving. Well priced too.

everyone has things covered here i think but i remember someone gave me llanisol (nipplecream) and thinking what do i need this for ??

if you are planning to feed get some of this or similar as when you are sore at 2 am its a must.............

Oh yeah, things for you. Maternity pads, breast pads, nipple cream, big black underwear/disposable underwear, nursing bras if breastfeeding.

Check out this blog under registry basics.

https://www.lucieslist.com/

The author offers a whole list of good items to have one hand and she even offers recommendations for specific items. She's American, but I'm sure a lot of the products can also be found there.

I also found top selling baby items on Amazon and Amazon reviews to be helpful. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Baby/zgbs/baby-products/ref=zg_tr_tab_t_bs

Thank you ladies, plan is to try to breast feed but will inevitably go to bottle feeding. We were wondering which bottles are better, tommee tippee or avent? Also which cotbed? Can't decide between silver cross nostalgia and the mamas and papas Yale. As for Moses basket, have no clue which is a good quality one, they all seem the same to me!
Vests, babygro and feeds I think we'll buy in a week or two, I don't mind spending a little money on these and looking at retail shops as I would rather feel the quality of the product.

Cotbed is entirely down to personal preference and what you and oh like. Not a necessity for the first month though. We got a lot of basic sleep suits/vests from supermarkets, could be worth at least having a few in case of an early arrival. Again, bottles are personal preferences, I've opted for avent. I got my moses basket second hand from a friend as it will only be used downstairs. You don't need to spend a fortune. Baby won't be in it that long. We bought a gliding crib from John Lewis for her to use in our room, will get a lot more use than a moses basket, and I wouldn't put her in a cot straight from birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->