Need help from Canadians please

Kracker

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post or not. Apologies if it isn't. My husband and I are looking into possible emigration to Canada. We have visited there and love the locals and the country. My husband has been entering his c.v. intowebsites and we are looking at applying for visas etc. We would like to know where the best place, close to the rockies as poss would be for us. My husband is a gas engineer and I work teaching english as a second language. Also if anyone has any good web links for houses to rent. The internet is a maze when you are unsure of what you are looking for. Any help or advice would be appreciated x Thanks x

Hmm..
This probably is the best place to post, although generally there isn't much action going on in this part of the board...

What I would do, is in the main part of this section of the forum, look for people in BC and Alberta to talk to about it!

I'm pretty much the opposite side of the country from the rockies.. But I know there are quite a few girls in BC and Alberta that might be able to help you out a little more!

Hi Kracker,
This is my first post on this site, but your post caught my eye. We live in a town on the edge of the Rockies called Canmore. It is an absolutely beautiful town, in the mountains yet outside the National Park so no restrictions on who can live and work here. An hour from Calgary airport. We emigrated from UK to here in 2003, and have found it to be very friendly, great place to bring up kids. Lots of outdoor activities to keep them busy and active.
If your visas depend upon getting work, then might be quite hard here thats the only problem, being a smaller town jobs are not so easy to get at the moment. They have a couple of rental companies in town. Peka management and Asset West you can google them for details.
With regards job search, my tips would be to find new ways to network online that normally has the most success. LinkedIn, Facebook and other social netwokring sites are good at finding people who might be able to help. Or at least just make friends so they might think of you if they hear of opportunities.
Any more info you want about Canmore and area I'm happy to help. Calgary could be another option, more job opportunities there and only an hour to the mountains.
Best Wishes Louise

Hey, it all depends on what your willing to spend. In B.C, Kelowna, Applebrook are beautiful areas just becareful because they can be expensive. Alberta is a great place to live Vermillion is breathtaking and like louise.green said so is the area around calgary. Like I said it depends on whether you want big city, rural areas, country. I've heard that Alberta jobs are on the decrease but Louise.green would probably know more than that. I'm from Saskatchewan, born and raised and it is also very beautiful here. Saskatchewan housing market however is ridicously over priced. If you wanna know about B.C in the Kelowna area my auntie is actually a real estate agent so I can get you any information you would like.

Not exactly sure what a gas engineer does but maybe check out the site for Peace River Coal. There may be some thing that he can do there. My OH is likely going to be working there. It is in a place called Tumbler Ridge, an hour from Dawson Creek, BC and 3ish from Grand Prarie, AB. The company just bought it and are letting all the old contractors go and hiring all new staff. They are dumping a ton of $$ into it as the type of coal they mine has something to do with making steel.

Wow, thanks for your speedy replies. A gas engineer is a gas, plumbing, heating installer. He fits and services boilers, fires, gas lines etc. He actually works for british gas in this country.We are looking into suspending our life here on a temporary basis, like renting out the house and storage etc, then if things work out we would like to make it permanant. I would love any info on renting and visa'a so we have our eyes fully open before we attempt to take the plunge. Louise.green, was it hard to emigrate, was the procedure difficult. We are unsure where to start to be honest. Thanks x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->