need some help from my fellow baby wearers!

NIfirsttimer

Proud mum, new wife & WTT
Reaction score
ummppppffffff
im not having much luck with carriers for my giant baby!

ii Love love loved the moby, but once she got over about 20lb they sagged real bad :-(
bought a freehand MT, which is SO pretty, but now that shes even bigger now, its really not fitting right, i think its pretty small...
ive tried and tried to get her comfy and seated in a back carry, you tubed for hours, but its just not happening.. its not long enough in the body :-(

shes 27.5lb, VERY VERY tall (ive given up measuring her!) but shes wearing 18-24m, so that should give you an idea...
what do we try next? im tempted to try another woven as i hear that they are more forgiving for biggier kiddies.. although i didnt really like my woven when she was a new born, so sold it!

I'm not much use hon because I've only used the one mei tai and I'd quite like another one that's longer in the body. I think you can get them longer though. Hopefully someone else will come along!

could you not get a toddlerhawk MT, they're supposed to be much longer in the body,

I was going to suggest ToddlerHawk as well. Claire is short mind you, but she's 25lbs and I have no problems at all carrying her in my BabyHawk Mei Tai.

:)

Can you sew? I made my own mei tai as my son is quite tall and skinny. I looked at various sets of instructions on the internet and adapted it so I had a longer body - I actually made it very long but with the top part folding down and fastening so when he is awake it comes up under his armpits but when he is asleep the top part comes right up above his head so he can lean back without dangling out of the carrier!

Don't suppose you care to share your instructions Kit?! I can't see in my mind how you make the length adjustable...

It's not easy to explain! I have tried to draw some diagrams - please don't laugh at my drawing!
I sewed the two back pieces to the front piece but not to each other so I had a horizontal opening between the 2 back pieces. I also left openings at the bottom corners for the straps.

I then sewed the straps to a smaller piece if denim as in figure 2.

I inserted the denim into the main piece so that the bottom straps came out through the openings and the top straps came out through the horizontal opening as in figure 3. I also put a couple of layers of denim and batting into the top piece.

I then turned the raw edges of the 3 openings under and top stitched to close the openings.

Finally I sewed a series of horizontal lines across the top piece to make it stronger.

The top piece now folds down along the horizontal line so that the straps come out of the main body but there is an extra head-rest above the straps. If you can make the top piece stiff enough with the stitching then it should stand up on its own, but my second carrier doesn't have enough stiffness so I am going to attach a couple of loops to the shoulder straps and tapes to the headrest so it can be tied up. I tried to draw the side view with the hood folded down but it didn't work!

I obviously haven't included all the basics like hemming etc.

Hope this makes some sense!

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member