Needing a bottle of expressed milk too every night?! Low supply?

Ivory Doll

Reaction score
I've been EBFing now for nearly 11 weeks. My little one has always been an efficient feeder and was never much of cluster feeder.

The past week at night she has been fussy, crying when she rarely cries! I can usually rock her to sleep in my arms but tonight it wasn't happening. She was latching on then coming off screaming then latching back on...

So I decided to give her a 3oz bottle of expressed breast milk and she wolfed it down!! Then went back on the boob where she is now in a deep sleep!!

I know this is probably a growth spurt (she's in 6-9mth clothes at 10 weeks old!!) I'm actually scared now my supply is low and she needs a bottle as well every night. I'm worried she has actually been hungry the last few nights ... Any input ladies?!

sounds like a growth spurt. my kids scream like that sometimes. i figured it was either too fast or too slow of milk flow. you could try switching sides, see if that helps. your supply will increase the more she feeds, so try not to give her EBM. if you are worried about your supply, you could always start pumping for 5-10 minutes after feeding. your supply will increase pretty quickly and she should be more satisfied.

That's what I'm thinking. I tried swapping sides but she was the same. I'll use my pump when she sleeps today, thanks for that tip :)

There's a big growth spurt at 3 months. If bfing has been fine up until now, than I'm pretty sure your supply is just fine :)
Just hang in there. The cluster feeding will only last a few days and everything should be back to normal afterwards!

It sounds like a growth spurt but I wouldn't get into the habit of giving expressed milk on top of nursing unless that milk has been expressed that day. Your baby needs to nurse to encourage your supply to increase to meet it's needs.

I know, me using an expressed bottle wasn't the right thing to do :nope: it was a quick fix so I've just been trying to soothe her as much as I can and offer boob. It seems to be working :) my HV told me she's teething too :dohh: so I picked up some teetha for her. Thanks for advice ladies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->