• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Needing encouragement

jandksmommy

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Joanna. On Monday night, my beautiful little girl, Reese, was born way too early at 23wk 6 days. She is fighting for her life in the NICU. She weighed 1 lb 7 ounces at birth but has since dropped to just over a pound (otherwise she is doing as well as can be expected). I would love to hear from other parents of micro preemies. I could really use some encouragement and words of advice.

Hi congratulations on the birth of baby Reese. I had twin girls at 25+2. Sadly we lost Rebecca at 1 day old due to her lungs being too underdeveloped. Holly will be 3 in January. She had many ups and downs in neonatal. At birth they discovered she had a grade IV ivh and she had a broken arm from being born breech. She had an infection at 4 weeks and many suspected infections. She came home after 100 days and 2 days before her due date.

She is still small and is only going into 12-18 months and weight wise she was only 21lb in August but developmentally she is on par for her age and is a typical toddler (tantrums and all).

The neonatal is a rollercoaster so expect days where it feels like she is only going backwards but I found after those days she would take a big leap forward.

Good luck and keep us updated xx

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl.

My wee girl was born at 23+6, also weighing 1lb 7oz. We just celebrated her 2nd birthday on Saturday. She's a joy.

We spent 136 days in hospital. It was an emotional rollercoaster, but worth every second, to be able to take her home.

Feel free to ask anything. Xx

My little girlies weren't that tiny, but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and Reece!

Talked to the NICU today (Reese is in hospital 2 and half hours away and I needed to come home for a few days to look after my twins), she is a week old today and still fighting. They say she is doing well considering everything. They are currently trying to wean her from the vent, they have increased her 'priming' (little bits of breastmilk to try and get her systems started), she has a small brain bleed that they are watching, her blood gasses, pressures, and O2 levels are remaining okay... She has dropped to 490 grams because her kidneys are eliminating too much. I am feeling alittle more hopeful the last few days that someday I will be able to bring her home and introduce her to her brother and sister.

:hugs:
I honestly am petrified of preemies. I hope and pray that she makes it. No matter what the stay in the NICU, may you be able to take her home.
:cry: Stay strong mommy. Girlies are little fighters anyways. (I was born at 29w)

Don't worry too much about her being weaned off the vent. Anya took many tries, and finally managed it after 5.5 weeks, when she went on to bipap. She also has a brain bleed, grade 4, on the right side.

It must be hard being so far away. We were only 15 mins away. We too had other children at home, and splitting time between them was hard. Xx

My little ones were born at 29 wks, they both are still in Niccu, they weighed 2 and a half pounds when they were born, One of mine is still on the vent, not oxygen though, just forced air, they found fluid pockets in their brains but have not heard anything else about that, I live 1 hour and a half from my girls, I cannot stay with them, I have two other boys to take care of and get ready for school in the mornings, i know how you feel, I wonder sometimes when my little ones will come home, they are currently 4 and a half pounds, up to ounce of formula, every feed, and on bottles every other feed, You and your wee one is in my thoughts, I know it is hard, but keep faith, she will fight and come home with you one day, my girls were born 9-21-2012, their due date was 12-7-2012, It is a long long journey, but at the end of the journey is love and affection like nothing else in the world. Good Luck with your wee one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->