Nephew coming home after 13 weeks in NICU

Lil-woowoo

Mummy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Kai was born at 24 weeks gestation weighing 1lb 7oz, hes been very poorly and been between 3 different hospitals. Hes now off oxygen and gaining weight and now weighs 4lb 9oz:happydance:, it looks like he should be coming home this week, my sis is thrilled but also a bit scared as can be expected. Her major worry is he stops breathing during the night when shes sleeping and she doesnt know. Any advice would be deeply appreciated x

Practicality speaking, it is possible to purchase apnoea (sp?) monitors similar to the ones used in NICU that monitor regular breathing and sound an alert if the pattern is disrupted. They're not generally liked as they give a good number of false alerts, but if they help your sister to relax once Kai's home, it may be worth a shot.

Pass on my good wishes - my boy Andrew was born 11 weeks premature weighing 1lb 6oz, and was 4lb 6oz when he was discharged just two days after his original due date. He weaned himself off the oxygen in the final week, which made things easier. He's now growing rapidly, too big for the <5lb preemie clothes and rapidly moving through the tiny baby <6.5lb clothes!

fantastic news the lo is almost home and thats a fabi weight already :happydance:. I think this is the most common fear all mummies have (prem baby or term baby) and it is completley natuaral for your sister to monitor this. As Marleysgirl has said aponea monitor might give her added reassurance, even a video monitor?

Will baby be in same room with parents for a while? I found this really helped us (except never got much sleep as would stare and Matthew all night and any wee noise at all Id be over checking him :dohh:) once they get to know there babies individual noises and movements this will really help ease her mind. Also baby will prob still wake 1, 2 or 3 times during the night for feeds etc.

Honestly, its about experience and confidence and reassurance, pass this website onto your sister and let her know we are all here for advice and support if she needs it xx

It sounds like he is doing brilliantly! He is a fantastic weight and it's great news that he is off the oxygen. Molly came home on oxygen which did make things more difficult. We were able to borrow an apnoea monitor from the hospital as she was on oxygen but we didnt use it agter a while as it gave so many false alarms, and you do get to know your baby. Defionately pass on this website to your sister and wish her all the best.

:thumbup:Thank you everyone, i will defo be passing this site onto my sis. Yeah kai will be in the room with her, good idea about the apnea monitors ill let her know. Think he will come home with a portable oxygen cylinder as he sometimes needs a wee woosh of O2 every so often. Its great that your LO are all doing well and i have read a few of the preemie stories on here. Thank you all for your kindness x x

Freddy did stop breathing in my arms when he came home and had to recuss him then get an ambulance out so straight after that we brought a AngelCare Monitor that has a mat they put under his cot. Its a godsend! It did go off loads when he was in his moses basket though which scared the crap out of us but now he is in his cot we have no problems.

I can just imagine the excitement she is feeling what a great xmas pressie!! Wish her all the best and get her on here!!!!

If she is really worried then I would as the others have said buy an Apnea monitor. I toyed with the idea of buying one as my LO was still holding her breath whilst feeding and I worried she would do it at night but then thought I can't live like this so didn't buy one and also the nurses advised against it.
As the others have said you get to know your baby and their sounds. Instinct always tells you if something is wrong, I relaxed after about 6 weeks and she went into her own room and cotbed. It does get easier.
x

The main advice I have for her is to enjoy it!

Taking them home is such a fantastic thing to do, and it is only the start of the worrying! I'm not a fan of the apnoea monitors as Abby set hers off constantly in the hospital for no reason at all. But if she doesn't mind the false alarms, she might find it useful.

Take care of having too many visitors until Kai gets stronger and be particular about them washing their hands etc for the first wee while. Avoid crowded places like shopping malls etc where the air isn't that good. If anyone is showing any signs of illness, especially cold and flu, keep them away. She shouldn't be afraid to put her foot down to make sure Kai stays healthy.

Take advantage of the rooming in option, it will build her confidence. But she should also remember that she has looked after Kai for a good wee while now and knows what she is doing, even though it doesn't feel like it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->