Nervous about decisions with school!

JASMAK

Mom of three
Reaction score
I live in Canada where we have two official languages: English and French. All students learn either french or english, and then a varying amount of the other language. French immersion is quite popular in our mostly English speaking city and usually starts in kindergarten and goes to grade 12 (graduation). All subjects are taught in 100% French. My son is 11 and in grade 5 in English school. The school board might be starting a new french immersion called 'late entry french immersion'. I signed my son up. He totally wants to! But, what if its hard? And he's been in school with the same friends since he was five! I just wish I could look into the future to see if its the right decision! Please tell me this is a good thing to do??? Every decision feels so life changing!

Would it be easy enough to move him if he did struggle with it?

I understand the worry about doing the right thing. My son is 4 but is currently in a gaelic medium nursery with the idea that he'll go to a gaelic medium school next year. As with your French it's total immersion and they are taught everything in gaelic. I've spoken to the head teacher already and there's a lot of support moving them back to english medium if they struggle.

I'm still feeling the benefits of bilingual are so worthwhile but you're right that it's a difficult decision and worry about doing the right thing. I know your son is a bit older than mine but one of the things the teachers all agreed on was that learning a language as a child is so much easier than it would be for us.

Would be so much easier if we could have a quick glimpse at the future :hugs: xx

I think most parents second guess their decisions at some point. I still do with our teenager at times! lol. But if you do what you feel is best given the information you have- then you have to trust yourself.

I never learned a 2nd language- I kinda wish I had, but not something I'd want to take up now! lol. I do just fine- of course, but certainly cannot hurt to give him more options - especially as an adult. Having a 2nd language can open more doors as far as careers/jobs go.

:hugs:

I would totally do it! It might be a bit more difficult as your son is older...but he will have enough time to overcome his initial struggles prior to graduation. I am biased, however, as my kids are growing up trilingually. I think in the long run, you couldn't do your son a bigger favor:thumbup:
One caveat: Do you or your OH know enough French to help him in the transition (and perhaps later on)?

I have no experience with this, but I would say if your son is excited about it then go for it! Lots of other kids will surely be in the same boat, if it's really difficult I'm sure there will be a way to get some extra help. I think being bilingual opens up so many doors for people, it would be well worth it.

Thanks...well, he is officially registered. The thing is, if there isnt enough registrants, it will be cancelled. So....what will be, will be!

Septie, my hubby and I both took regular French in an English speaking school. My hubby then did a summer program in Montreal. He speaks better than I...however, French Immersion is for those who do not speak french and parents do not have to know french....or so I have been told! Ha!

This isn't nearly the same as his situation, but when I took spanish II and III in high school my teacher only spoke spanish to us and would not let us speak english in her class. We all hated it at the time, but I learned SOOOOO much from it! I placed out of foreign language altogether in college because of her.

Jasmak, your and your OH's knowledge of French should be just fine to help him through the transition and know what's happening at the school. FWIW, if my kids were in Chinese immersion, say, I would admittedly totally freak out, as I'd have no idea what they are learning (and I don't think I'd be able to learn it myself quickly enough to keep up)....even though it might be really good for them. I'm a bit chicken that way lol.
Good luck with it! And if the school doesn't open after all - oh well, your kid loves his current friends. No harm in trying.

Oh, just wanted to add that it's really great that your son is so eager to try something so new and different! Wonderful!

Do it. It will definitely be to his benefit to have both official languages. This from the POV of someone who lived in Ottawa for 12 years and was horrible at French! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->