New here, 39 and TTC #1...and not sure if we just did or not???

Rowan72

Reaction score
Hi, guys! I've been lurking here for a few months now and I can't say enough how much I love reading this forum (and I've lurked at several!).

Anyhoo. I'm 39 (turning 40 at the end of next month) and we're currently TTC our first, and likely only, child. We ditched the BC altogether last fall and I began taking CoQ10 (I've already been taking prenatals since early last year) since I've read both here and elsewhere that it may help with egg quality.

Well, seveal months have passed. We'd test a few days before AF was due. Nuthin'. but BFNs. Then AF would show up. Lather, rinse, repeat. So, around the middle of this month, we had a chat about our progress and that's when we decided to get more aggressive about it. Picked up some Preseed, soy and an ovulation kit and were preparing to begin using them NEXT month. That's when things got a little weird.

For awhile now, my cycle has usually stayed somewhere around the 26 - 28 day range. Every once in a blue moon, I'll start earlier if I'm very stressed-out and have alot going on. But I'm never late. Except that this month I am late. A whole dang week late. The day before AF was expected, I had some brief spotting and some cramping. (The cramping was odd because I haven't cramped with AF since my 20's.) Then that was it. Well, since about 2 days past the time I was expecting to see AF, I've taken several tests and there have been what LOOKS like super-super-super faint positives. My DH can see them better than I can because he wears glasses and I've been needing to get my eyes checked out for awhile now. He absolutely swears that they're there and that they've definitely got color to them...and, yes, we've stuck to the pink dye tests and we've used both the cheapos and the FR tests! But the issue is that I've tested almost every day and the tests are NOT getting any stronger. It's still the super-super-super-faint-blink-and-you-miss-it lines. It's driving me nuts! :wacko:

Then throw in the stuff my body's been doing since right before AF was due:

- Beewbz are noticibly bigger, more sensitive and have been off 'n on sore and achey.
- The...err..."intestinal issues". :blush:
- Lower back pain and sore hips at first, but now mostly just lower back pain.
- Tugs, pulls and twinges "down below".
- Feeling either overly-emotional about stuff or very detached/zen.
- At first, food didn't taste quite right to me, my appetite was low and then I'd feel super queasy and nauseated after eating. Now, suddenly, I'm starving and will eat anything in sight.

...and the one we just discovered:

- Some VERY noticible color changes "down below". I had DH have a look, (considering that he knows that area better than anyone else :winkwink: )and he says that there's a purplish discoloration down there that he's never seen before. We'd read about Chadwick's Sign, which is one reason why I had him look and this fits the description. (Thing is that I know it could also appear if someone's about to have their period, so I'm not taking it as a definitive sign.) He said that things also look "fuller" down there and I know I've definitely felt that way, too. It feels different.

Sooo...I dunno what to think! :nope: I'd feel so much better if we had some progress with the tests. I'd love to have a line that I don't have to squint to see. I worry that we're imagining things. I'm probably gonna give it another week or so and then go get a blood test if there's no change. It's just not at all like me to be late. I think I am, bu I'm scared to get too hopeful!

Ugh...

Hi Rowan :hi: Nice to meet you!

Well if you're over a week late and things are 'different' for you but your tests aren't stronger, I'd get to your Dr without delay. Oh and don't forget to come back and let us know how you're doing!! :thumbup:

Take care
Jax :flower:

Thanks!

I've been wanting to play it safe and wait one more week, JUST in case this is just AF messin' with me and I'm having PMS. Many years ago, we had a faint positive on a test and then went for a pee-test at the doctor's, which came out negative. Then my period started a couple of days later. So that's why I'm wanting to give it just a little bit longer this time. If nothing's changed in a week, then it's off to the doctor's for sure and I'll be wanting a BLOOD test this time.

Will definitely post and let you guys know what happens with it! :thumbup:

Sounds good to me and after all only you know what your body is like. Good luck!
:dust:

Hi there, and glad to see you're posting now..hehe
Wait for a blood test instead of spending money on pregnancy pee tests for sure.

I have to ask.....
Did your Husband think you wer crazy when you asked him to look at your Va-Jayjay or did he now the reason why ..ie Chadwicks Sign? haha I have read about that as well...and as I am 2 weeks late and never late( with a weeks worth of negative tests.( I have about 9 of them in garbage can...lol) I may grab a mirror and take a look..lol

I have to ask.....
Did your Husband think you wer crazy when you asked him to look at your Va-Jayjay or did he now the reason why ..ie Chadwicks Sign? haha I have read about that as well...and as I am 2 weeks late and never late( with a weeks worth of negative tests.( I have about 9 of them in garbage can...lol) I may grab a mirror and take a look..lol

Hi! Nope...he didn't think it was crazy at all. We've actually looked for it in the past, when we had thought on previous occasions that we might be. This is just the first time he's ever actually SEEN something that really looks like it. :happydance:

And good luck and baby-dust to you! It's definitely frustrating when you're late and the tests aren't cooperating. But it's not uncommon. I know someone who tested negative for three weeks before she finally found out she was preggers. :thumbup:

I keep reading about those stories.....haha thats what keeps givng me hope.

Hope your wait is short....

Update: Looks like it was a chemical. :( I made it to 10 days past AF. We'd kept testing everyday, but the lines never got any darker. I was still planning to get a blood test done next week. Well, then, this morning, I tested and got nothing at all. Not long after, I started bleeding very heavily, dark red blood. Now it's got clots. So it looks like we're back to the drawing board once more.

My DH is devastated. I'm really sad about it, myself, but I had also tried to remain somewhat detached...I was very afraid this would happen, especially when I never saw the lines getting any darker/clearer. I was hoping maybe I'd be one of those women with low levels, but I think instead it was just that the bean didn't want to stick.

Oh well. Maybe next time. :(

I am soooooo sorry to hear this!!!
:hug:
Take care of yourself until your body is ready to start again!
there's nothing more I can say but sorry......:hugs:

Update: Looks like it was a chemical. :( I made it to 10 days past AF. We'd kept testing everyday, but the lines never got any darker. I was still planning to get a blood test done next week. Well, then, this morning, I tested and got nothing at all. Not long after, I started bleeding very heavily, dark red blood. Now it's got clots. So it looks like we're back to the drawing board once more.

My DH is devastated. I'm really sad about it, myself, but I had also tried to remain somewhat detached...I was very afraid this would happen, especially when I never saw the lines getting any darker/clearer. I was hoping maybe I'd be one of those women with low levels, but I think instead it was just that the bean didn't want to stick.

Oh well. Maybe next time. :(

So sorry Rowan. It is the saddest thing:hugs: I know I have had 3 of them in the last 9 months. However some people say that you are more fertile after that happens because your body is ready to get preggo:flower: It will happen for you and you should be fine to try again right away as long as you are ready emotionally:hugs: Good luck

Thanks, guys! We will keep trying. :)

On the bright side, at least we know it IS still possible to concieve. So, hopefully, next time we'll have better luck.

Rowan, dont give up! Im 39yo and like you, I began to try at this age. 3 cycles after stopping bc pills I got pregnant and lost it...... After 3 more cycles I got pregnant again and Im 24 weeks pregnant now. I took royal jelly, vitex and homeophatic Remedies to help my eggs. Ialso bought ovacue which was really healpul cause I noticed I was ovulating day 10. Best luck to you! Cheetd

Thanks! Congratulations! :)

I've been taking prenatals for almost a year, Co-Q10 since October and I'm also planning to give the Soy Isoflavones a try, too. We'll make that sticky bean yet! ;)

Hi, guys! I've been lurking here for a few months now and I can't say enough how much I love reading this forum (and I've lurked at several!).

Anyhoo. I'm 39 (turning 40 at the end of next month) and we're currently TTC our first, and likely only, child. We ditched the BC altogether last fall and I began taking CoQ10 (I've already been taking prenatals since early last year) since I've read both here and elsewhere that it may help with egg quality.

Well, seveal months have passed. We'd test a few days before AF was due. Nuthin'. but BFNs. Then AF would show up. Lather, rinse, repeat. So, around the middle of this month, we had a chat about our progress and that's when we decided to get more aggressive about it. Picked up some Preseed, soy and an ovulation kit and were preparing to begin using them NEXT month. That's when things got a little weird.

For awhile now, my cycle has usually stayed somewhere around the 26 - 28 day range. Every once in a blue moon, I'll start earlier if I'm very stressed-out and have alot going on. But I'm never late. Except that this month I am late. A whole dang week late. The day before AF was expected, I had some brief spotting and some cramping. (The cramping was odd because I haven't cramped with AF since my 20's.) Then that was it. Well, since about 2 days past the time I was expecting to see AF, I've taken several tests and there have been what LOOKS like super-super-super faint positives. My DH can see them better than I can because he wears glasses and I've been needing to get my eyes checked out for awhile now. He absolutely swears that they're there and that they've definitely got color to them...and, yes, we've stuck to the pink dye tests and we've used both the cheapos and the FR tests! But the issue is that I've tested almost every day and the tests are NOT getting any stronger. It's still the super-super-super-faint-blink-and-you-miss-it lines. It's driving me nuts! :wacko:

Then throw in the stuff my body's been doing since right before AF was due:

- Beewbz are noticibly bigger, more sensitive and have been off 'n on sore and achey.
- The...err..."intestinal issues". :blush:
- Lower back pain and sore hips at first, but now mostly just lower back pain.
- Tugs, pulls and twinges "down below".
- Feeling either overly-emotional about stuff or very detached/zen.
- At first, food didn't taste quite right to me, my appetite was low and then I'd feel super queasy and nauseated after eating. Now, suddenly, I'm starving and will eat anything in sight.

...and the one we just discovered:

- Some VERY noticible color changes "down below". I had DH have a look, (considering that he knows that area better than anyone else :winkwink: )and he says that there's a purplish discoloration down there that he's never seen before. We'd read about Chadwick's Sign, which is one reason why I had him look and this fits the description. (Thing is that I know it could also appear if someone's about to have their period, so I'm not taking it as a definitive sign.) He said that things also look "fuller" down there and I know I've definitely felt that way, too. It feels different.

Sooo...I dunno what to think! :nope: I'd feel so much better if we had some progress with the tests. I'd love to have a line that I don't have to squint to see. I worry that we're imagining things. I'm probably gonna give it another week or so and then go get a blood test if there's no change. It's just not at all like me to be late. I think I am, bu I'm scared to get too hopeful!

Ugh...
Hi Rowan. I'm also 39 and TTC number 1, I wish you luck!

Rowan - I too am 39 and on my first cycle TTC! A little complication - no partner - so am doing it with a donor sperm! :)
Best wishes to you!

Thanks, guys! We will keep trying. :)

On the bright side, at least we know it IS still possible to concieve. So, hopefully, next time we'll have better luck.

Rowan :hugs: just catching up with you.....so sorry you've had another disappointment to cope with but like you say you know it IS possible so keep trying :thumbup:. I've never even got a BFP yet so at least you have something to cling onto :flower:

Thanks, everyone! :D

My DH and I have discussed everything and plan to get "back in the saddle" with this baby-making ASAP. ;)

I did get very sad when the symptoms disappeared, though. It's weird just how different you feel when they're there.

Hey Rowan ...and all you other supportive girlies ...

Sending you some positive vibes and baby magic from rural Norfolk. I had a very similar situation last month. Been ttc for 5 months now, nada, except that this month, I developed some very odd symptoms 8dpo which included sore breasts, which I NEVER get before my period. I seriously felt different, and pregnant, on the basis of the symptoms I was experiencing, not intuition or anything. Sadly, the symptoms disappeared about a day or so before af arrived. I was so upset...particularly because I'm pretty rational and not give to imagining symptoms. I never got a positive test result, so although it could have been a chemical pregnancy, it might have just been me going mad.

Anyway, on the bright side, it's nearly spring, it's a new year, love and luck are in the air and who knows what lovely surprises await us all. Good luck to everyone trying...I'm 39 this year but only just met the man I want to start a family with.

Feline x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->