New mattress for second baby??

x Helen x

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before...

did you buy a new mattress for your second baby?

A friend of mine told me today that she is buying new for her second... I hadn't even thought of this!! Do I really need to? I'm sure when I looked into it aaaages ago I read that if it has a waterproof cover which can be removed and washed at a high temp and if being used by a sibling then it would be ok? Can anyone confirm?

I haven't replaced moses basket or crib mattresses either as my daughter only slept in those a handful of times... do you think I should?

The mattresses are in perfect condition... it seems like such a waste just to throw them out!

*peeking in from second tri*

Only due to my DD moving into a toddler bed (and moving her mattress with her) have I brought a new mattress for baby #2. Im not changing the moses basket or travel cot mattress though; like you, my DD only slept in them a few times :) xx

The guidelines used to be a new mattress for each baby but I think I read somewhere that you can reuse for siblings now although I'm not sure where I read it. I bought new for my son and will be buying new again, I'm very over cautious plus the mattresses we have from DS have been stored in the loft for over three years so I'm worried about them being a bit damp.

What? I've never heard of this. Seems silly to buy a new mattress when you're reusing the same bed. Maybe if it had been in storage or terribly worn or something. But if it looks fine? I'd totally reuse it.

We are going to keep the new arrival in a pack and play for a while, and in a mosses basket; I am NOT replacing the mats in those. Wouldn't replace the mattress in the bed, either, if I was reusing it.

What? I've never heard of this. Seems silly to buy a new mattress when you're reusing the same bed. Maybe if it had been in storage or terribly worn or something. But if it looks fine? I'd totally reuse it.

We are going to keep the new arrival in a pack and play for a while, and in a mosses basket; I am NOT replacing the mats in those. Wouldn't replace the mattress in the bed, either, if I was reusing it.

It's because they used to think that old mattresses carried a higher risk of SIDS but I think that theory has now largely been discounted.

I've got a new one for the moses basket but not going to change the cot bed mattress. Apparently you are supposed to change them for each child but I personally think it's up to you and depending on how looked after the mattress is. We always used a waterproof mattress protector on ours :)

I'm pretty sure this is another way for companies to make money off parents' (especially mothers') anxiety! I can say that I spent my first pregnancy and first year of my DD's life in fear and guilt that I was always making the wrong choice because inevitably some product/company/person (even other moms!)/internet would tell me I that I should be doing X not Y and someone else would say Y not Z, etc. I cut the contradicting information out with this pregnancy and refuse to look at all that stuff that sends me into guilt spirals. Going with my gut, making sensible and realistic choices for our specific family, and doing what works for us changed our happiness level by leaps and bounds! Do what makes you feel comfortable, but as long as you have a mattress that looks clean and not particularly wore out, I'd slap a clean sheet on it and worry about how many snuggles you'll be getting soon instead!

I think the official advice is a new mattress for each baby... I think the caveat for siblings exists, as you know how clean it is (vs a second hand donation or purchase)! I think I would likely base my decision on how clean the exact mattress in question is. :flower:

I did some research and it'a recommended to get a new matress to prevent chances of SIDS. I'll be buying a new one to be on the safe side. Besides, they are not that expensive.

I did some research and it'a recommended to get a new matress to prevent chances of SIDS. I'll be buying a new one to be on the safe side. Besides, they are not that expensive.

Yes a Moses basket mattress is only about ten pounds, for me it's worth it for the peace of mind because I'm SUCH a worrier about that sort of thing. I also read that having a fan in the room but not pointing directly at baby reduces SIDS risk a lot so we always had one, even with my DD who was born in December lol!

Yes a Moses basket mattress is only about ten pounds, for me it's worth it for the peace of mind because I'm SUCH a worrier about that sort of thing. I also read that having a fan in the room but not pointing directly at baby reduces SIDS risk a lot so we always had one, even with my DD who was born in December lol!

I have definitely followed pretty much EVERY piece of advice to prevent SIDS... except probably this mattress thing (though everything I bought for my first child WAS brand new, so I guess this is the first time I've even had to think about it).

No bumpers in the crib, no pillows or blankets or toys in the crib or bed, lay baby on back to sleep, put baby in a sleep sack or swaddler rather than a blanket, don't let baby sleep in car seat, keep a fan on in the room for circulation (an added benefit is the white noise it creates--we still use one in my 2-year-old's room for this reason), etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->