New Study on Home Births

bedazzle3

Reaction score
Nothing really groundbreaking here, but interesting to see stats behind it. Home births for low-risk pregnancies seem to be pretty safe as long as you have a properly trained attendant nearby. But nice to see some quantifiable numbers behind the risk.

https://www.healthyus.com/blog/2012/02/home-births/

I love a positive homebirth study but that wording implies that birthing without medical attendants is risky which isn't the case. Based on my experience and that of my friends many who freebirth an unassisted birth is safe also but I expect they just don't have any data on that to include in studies.

I love a positive homebirth study but that wording implies that birthing without medical attendants is risky which isn't the case. Based on my experience and that of my friends many who freebirth an unassisted birth is safe also but I expect they just don't have any data on that to include in studies.

having a natural unassited birth is great when there are no problems but what if there is a problem with the baby or even the mom certain midwives have what is needed to help like stopping bleeding and oxygen for the mom and baby if needed. Its perfectly fine to give birth at home without help but problems do happen and the two questions you have to ask is
1. what will you do if there is a problem?
2. Can you forgive yourself if the baby dies?

Oh btw women have died giving birth

I just wanted to clerify I am not against home births IF you have a midwife who has things in case of emergency

It's true that birth is safest with a trained attendant BUT it's important not to underestimate people who actively choose to birth without on as a positive choice. If you think is done without a huge amount of research before hand you're mistaken, including knowing what to do when the 'what ifs' occur. People choosing Freebirth as a positive choice also take full responsibility for themselves and their babies. Something i think we all do or should do where ever we birth. I choose to birth with trained attendants but I don't negate myself of all responsibly. I think that's as dangerous as you think UC is.

I had unassisted births with both of my children and we're definitely not ignorant people who haven't thought of and researched extensively all of the "what ifs?". The comment about "women have died during childbirth" was asinine :fool: Umm, obviously, this is the case, are you assuming women who choose to have a freebirth don't know this and are going into it blindly? It's amazing how many issues that can come up that are directly linked to unnecessary interventions, and I'm not just talking about doctor/hospital situations.

I had unassisted births with both of my children and we're definitely not ignorant people who haven't thought of and researched extensively all of the "what ifs?". The comment about "women have died during childbirth" was asinine :fool: Umm, obviously, this is the case, are you assuming women who choose to have a freebirth don't know this and are going into it blindly? It's amazing how many issues that can come up that are directly linked to unnecessary interventions, and I'm not just talking about doctor/hospital situations.

You are right i re read my comment an it does seem as if im saying that people who do unassisted births are ignorant. Honestly many women have done assited, unassisted and hospital births without thinking of the what ifs. So i apologize i get worked up because somehow i end up on very biast websites (not this one) and read thing people have written to convince them of doin it tge right way. It gets me fired up like i was watching penn and teller bs and this lady in hawaii was planing on taking women into the ocean to be with wild dolphins to give birth and someone was actually interested not a birth in a large "pool" the ocean with salt water and not with trained dolphins wild ones are people crazy!!!! Ugh no you brought me back to eartg not everyone is uninformed an putting their children and themselves at risk

wow with wild dolphins thats really silly
as lovely as dolphins seem they have been known to kill infant sealife sometimes even there own and then play with the corpse and not even bother to eat it its all for fun not survival so letting a mother and infant in the sea with them seems a bit much
i personally like the idea of a homebirth and would if i didnt have such noisy neighbours who would not turn there music down even with a woman in labour! through the reasearch i have done and talks with my own midwife i dont see a risk. midwives are trained to see the possible problem bofore it occurs and get to woman to hospital they also bring emergency life support for the baby and drugs to stop a woman bleeding out. all the what ifs are thought about before hand and preventative measures are there. however where you choose to give birth is always your descision and i think a woman should always give birth where she feels is best and safest be it at home even without a midwife or opting for a c-section in hospital or anywhere in between

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->