New to cow's milk- yucky diapers!

LittleNugget

DD and expecting #2
Reaction score
My DD has just started drinking cow's milk in the past week or so. She has been breastfed since birth, never had formula, and still nurses right before bed. She loves drinking cow's milk, but I have noticed a huge change in her poo's. [tmi] Very runny and with an awful rancid smell. Could the cow's milk be causing this? Is it normal when transitioning from breast milk to cow's milk, or a sign of a milk intolerance? She had a blood test for food allergies a few weeks ago (severe peanut allergy), and she tested negative for a milk allergy, but could milk still be the culprit? It's the only thing that has changed in her diet recently. Thanks!

Yes it's normal. My LOs poos were awful when he first started cows milk bit after about 2 weeks his tummy adjusted and he now has no issues.

HELP! It's just getting worse! Huge blowout diaper this morning. Diarrhea was so liquidy, it was dripping out of the diaper when I changed it. I'm going to back off milk for now and see if it makes a difference, but just wondering if this is something that happens to most babies and we have to work through it? Or do we need to stop milk altogether?

Has she had milk before this in food? Like cereal, porridge, other dairy products like yogurt or cheese? If so, and you didn't notice any issues until now, then I would probably assume it's just her digestive system getting used to the increase in dairy and not necessarily something to be concerned about. We had some really, really bad poos when we were transitioning to cow's milk, but as it turned out, it was more related to teething as four teeth popped through in the middle of the transition and the bad nappies went away. Any chance she could be teething? I worried it might be the milk as well, but it was obvious it was teething-related in the end. Otherwise, I would say just take it slowly. We started with only a small drink of milk with an afternoon snack and then transitioned to having a full bottle of milk and then slowly increased it so all our feeds were cow's milk over about 6 weeks.

She eats plenty of diary without a problem. I actually just called the doctor, and they said bad poos can happen during the transition to milk. They said if she were allergic to milk or lactose intolerant, it would have shown up on her blood test. Maybe it is teething too. I don't see any teeth coming in, but they could be on the way. I guess we'll just wait it out and hope her little belly adjusts soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->