New to recycling - how do you do yours?

bambino156

Mummy
Reaction score
Our area has only just got wheelie bins, green lid for food/garden waste, blue lid for paper/glass/cans etc and black bin bags for everything else. This is all well and good but I find i'm left with a piles of stuff around the kitchen ready to put in the relevant bin and end up making umpteen trips outside to bin it all.

Theres got to be a simpler way! Do you all have special bins in the kitchen? Are you left with piles of stuff in the kitchen? How do you do yours? Thanks!

I have a separate carrier bag in the kitchen for glass/plastic/paper and whenever it's full and I'm going out I then put it in the relevant bins (here paper has to be separated). We can't recycle garden waste and if im honest I rarely bother with food waste, however the council does provide small indoor bins to put it in.

I just put it on the side under the boiler and take it out prob twice a day x

We have two bins side by side, green for recycling and purple for landfill. They don't collect for compost yet here but at our old place we had a small food scraps caddy thing (provided by the council but we bought one from Matalan too) on the worktop that was emptied every other day or so. At our old place we didn't have the floor space for two bins out so we had one bin for landfill and a big box in a cupboard for recycling. My mum put her recycling in the utility room until it was ready to go out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002ATO1KY

We have these in the kitchen. They are quite big (but not too big they take up alot of room) and hold alot so we probably take them out about once a week to the big bins

i just have a carrier bag that gets emptied once a day.. all our recyclable stuff goes into one wheelie bin though xx

I've got 2 medium size bins in the kitchen (1 for recyclables, 1 for landfill)

Currently we have 2 wheelie bins a landfill one and a recycling one

I don't like having rubbish in the house so we have a tiny little bin that fits carrier bags in, in the cupboard under our sink which gets emptied and put out in the wheelie bin 2 or 3 times a day because the bin is so small once it's filled up and you take the carrier bag out, the carrier bag is only half to 3 quavers full lol

recycling I just put straight out into the wheelie bin

We have two bins in our kitchen, one for general waste and one for recycling. It has 3 compartments but here they do general recycling, so we just chuck anything recycling in it and end of the week put it in the recycling bags. When we lived in our old house they did bins like you describe, and we would put paper in one, glass in another etc and it was just a little more time consuming putting them in the right bags but was fine. I miss my food waste bin!

We have an amazing system and it's really easy to use.
Outside we have a:
green bin for non recyclable rubbish (collected bi weekly)
2 blue bins for recycling glass, paper, plastic, cardboard, tetra packs (bi weekly collection)
a brown bin for garden, pet and kitchen waste (bi weekly collection in the summer and monthly collection in the winter)

inside we have a caddy with liners for food waste (collect new liners when needed from the library)
we also have a recyclable bin and a non recyclable bin in the kitchen and just carry the bags out when full.

The council provide us with texts to let us know the night before what collection it is and also supply sticker calenders etc.

My council is ridiculous about recycling and hardly accepts anything.
We have 1 bin that is collected every 2 weeks that we throw it all in.
Rubbish is collected every week (should be the other way round!)
This is newham council in London.

Outside we have 4 bins.

Blue - Landfill
Grey - Cardboard and paper
Green - Plastic and tins
Brown - Food and garden waste

Inside we have a normal bin for landfill, and then behind the door I have a box for cardboard, a box for plastic and tins and in the utility I keep a Safeway bow for glass (which I take to the recycling point once a week).

I empty each box once a day and we're meant to use a caddy for food waste but more often than not I just pop it in a bowl and put it it straight into one of the little sacks as I find that if they sit in the caddy for more than an hour or 2 they start to disintegrate.

We have a double brabantia bin - one section for general waste and one for recycling (paper, card, cans, plastic bottles etc). Glass gets put in a corner on the counter until we take it to the glass recycle point at the supermarket.

we have 2 bins a green one for general waste and a blue one for recycling with a little box in it for glass. one week recycling goes the next normal ... i try to recycle but i have had to stop because my neighbors use our bins and theres as they please. and they use any old bin for any rubbish it drives me up the wall we have complained countless times :Dohh:

We have 4 wheelie bins

Black. Main waste
Blue. Paper/card
Green. Garden waste
Brown. Cans/jars/plastics.

We have a compost heap in the garden for left over food and veg peel, teabags etc. So we just put it all in a box in the kitchen then empty every night. Xx

Here we have two wheelie bins, they get emptied alternate weeks. One is a green one strictly for garden rubbish and the other is a black one which is for all other non recyclable waste.
We then have three boxes, two black ones, one is for glass the other for tins and plastic containers. Finally we have a blue box which is for paper.
We used to have one for cardboard too but for some reason they stopped that one.

When I empty a box,bottle or tin I take it straight out to the recycling.Normal waste goes in a carrier bag as a large bin gets overfilled and oh never empties it so its always me lol.

I have 2 dogs so I have a garbage can on top of washer lined with a bag and inside that is a pail that I put cans/glass/plastic in, move the pail to dump regular waste. I take out the milk jugs/bigger containers right to the big container. I dump the trash every other day and that is about time the pail fills up. If I had a food waste pail(in states and never heard of that) I would put a dishpan or something in the fridge and take it with me every time trash went out

We bought an awesome bin from ebay with 3 compartments which is a big pull-out cupboard bin. It is new and I love having part of my kitchen back - no longer with plastic/jars/containers everywhere. It was about £50 but well worth the cash xxx

I have a pull out cupboard bin with two compartments - general household waste in one and cardboard in the other. Paper I pile up on a shelf and take it out when the pile gets pretty big, same with glass and metal - cans and bottles get returned at the shop as they have a deposit. I used to have an open plastic tub for bio waste but don't have a bio bin anymore, don't really have cardboard and paper recycling anymore either because the people in my apartment building are louts and just chuck their rubbish in whatever bin (communal bin shed) they feel like so dunno why I bother :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->