Newbie...HI, Im considering a home birth (1st baby)

Lotti1978

MC @7 weeks-Angel Oct09
Reaction score
HI

I saw a MW on sunday and we got talking about home births.

Ive always fancied a water birth at home even before we started trying for a baby.
A few ppl have scared me saying I shouldnt with my first in case something goes wrong.

Ive been looking into it, my MW says my pgcy is 'straight forward' enough so will be fine. I am also pretty close to the maternity hospital even when I move house....approx 9 miles?!

Anyway, any tips or thoughts, it will be my 1st birth!

Im a trained alternative therapist so love my relaxing cds, candles and essential oils in the burner......I love my home and feel very chilled and happy to be there.

I need to research pain relief though as Id like gas, air and maybe a back up if needed like pethadine. No epidural...so I say!

:hi: and welcome.
Im also a newbie.
Second baby; first home birth though.
x

I had a home water birth and Alex is my first baby. I'd say you're half way there with all your experience with relaxtion as I'm convinced that's what helped me through my labour. I've never been scared of birth, so I think if you go into it with a positive attitude, then your experience should be a positive one too. The only other pain relief I had was a TENS machine which worked brilliantly for me (see my birth story below). Your hospital sounds near enough that you'd be able to get there in plenty of time in an emergency.

BTW, you can't have an epidural at home as this needs to be administered by an anaesthetist. If you transferred to hospital and you did need an epidural, you wouldn't be able to labour or birth in the pool either. x

I agree with JenStar that so much of how you cope with labour depends on how you go into it. If you expect you won't be able to cope, then you probably won't. Relaxation is so key as well. I think that's what got me the first time around, my breathing was out of control, and because of that I couldn't take the g&a and just was really out of control. I have read up on the benefits of hypnobirthing and think this will be so helpful during labour. If you have a course near you, I would highly recommend trying to go along. Statistics show decreased need for a c section and epidurals.
You sound like a perfect candidate for a homebirth, being that you recognise the benefits from alternative therapies and also that you feel so chilled and relaxed at home.
Just a warning I don't think you can have pethidine at home, at least they don't offer it here. Just natural relief and g&a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->