Newbie :) When should I test?

Momtron

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Sooo, I have a question about when I should test.
My husband and I had sex on July 5th and I have no idea when I ovulated.
My last period was on July 16th and my cycles are usually 24 days, so AF should have shown her face on the 9th... BUT still no sign of her. Is it possible that I could have gotten pregnant so close to my period? If so, when would be a good time to test?
TIA!

Can you confirm that the dates in the post are correct? They are a bit confusing. I'm reading...
Last DTD - July 5th (This is the confusing one, did you mean August 5th?)
Last AF - July 16th
Current Cycle AF due around August 9th (making you 2 days late)

Popping your dates into tools on Countdown to Pregnancy, your usual fertile period would have been July 22nd to July 27th.

Obviously, nothing is usual. Your lp can vary within 1-2 days. It's not likely, but it happens. Lp is luteal phase or the time from when you ovulate to when you get your period. Happened to me two cycles ago where my lp went from 12 to 14 days just for one cycle.

You also could have ovulated later for a variety of reasons (as your body gears up to O, if you get very sick or injured or stress then your body might change it's mind about Oing at the time). Personally, I find that only a great physical stress around O time can derail the ovulation process.

I will not say that getting pregnant late in your cycle doesn't happen. My second pregnancy I only DTD at CD 27, the day before my expected period. I wound up pregnant because I had a gigantic cyst on my ovary that I was ovulating from that month, and it delayed my ovulation by two weeks. Hence a baby with my one night stand who I assured I would not get pregnant because who gets pregnant on CD 27?

In any case, if you did ovulate late then it would be too early to test. The earliest post DTD that I tested positive was 8 days. American Pregnancy suggests waiting 19 days post sex for an accurate result (that's the longest it should theoretically take to test positive).

So my advice is that if you think you may have conceived from August 5th, wait until about August .... 19th to be safe and test if af doesn't show by then. FXed all works out how you want and sorry for the long and probably not very helpful post lol

Oops! I didnt realize I did that. Yes, I meant August 5, not july!

Np I figured and posted a long reply hahah. The problem with being late is that you are regular until you aren't. If you don't do bloods or temp to confirm ovulation, you never know what is truly being late.

Lol, thank you!
8 more days you say eh... I dont know if I can wait any longer. I am so impaitent! :p

I mean, you can test but I highly suggest against it. It's a lot of anxiety, disappointment, and money down the drain. I'm an early tester because I have zero patience. I use walmart cheapies starting at 4dpo, then use frers at 6, skip 7 (or try to lol), and 8dpo and on if my timing was good. I try to limit myself to 6 frers per cycle. The walmart tests are less accurate, but only 88c so it satisfies my physical/ mental need to pee on something but I don't get as distraught over bfns or waste too much money. The earliest I would say you could test is the 14th (9 days past DTD) but that is assuming you ovulated that day.

Is that the only time you had sex since your last af?

Yeah, I couldnt wait... caved and went to the dollarstore and bought a few. :/ lol Tested and of course got a negative. If my period doesnt come in the next couple of days, ill start testing again.

It wasnt the only time, but it was the only time we didnt use any protection.

Just went to the washroom and had light spotting. No cramping yet, which is unusual, but I think AF has arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->