Newbie with questions...

Penny Lane

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

Here's my deal...

For the past 2 years I've been suffering from bouts of extreme pain in my abdomen. Several times the dr has thought it was my appendix and prepped me for surgery (only to change his mind at the last time and do one last ultra sound). At that time he discovered that I had some cysts on my ovaries but that was the end of that question. This time last year they did a colonoscopy on me trying to figure out where the pain may be coming from... it came back normal. (frustrating!)

So over the past 2 years I've had constant twinges of pain in my lower abdomen, particularly on my right side just above my hip bone.

2 weeks ago I landed in the ER again with this bad pain, thinking again that is was my appendix. The dr's ran my blood (which came back fine) and also did a CT scan (came back fine) He sent me home and told me to follow up with my family dr in 2 days time. I did that and my dr sent me for another ct scan and a ultra sound. Both came back negative (in the mean time the pain continued).

When I was having the internal ultra sound done, it was EXTREMELY painful and I was in tears. The nurse who was doing my ultra sound asked me if I always have pain like this (ex: intercourse) and whether or not I ever have painful period. I told her that DH and I have been TTC for over a year and she told me to ask my dr about endometriosis.

So when I saw my dr on Wednesday I brought up the possibility. She asked me a few other questions... I explained to her that typically the first day (or two) of my period I'm usually sick in bed, to the point of vomiting and cold sweats. I also have terrible lower back pain (most common during my period) terrible bouts of constipation, then sudden diarrhea etc. She said that she had no idea I was going through this (I thought it was normal??) and said that she wouldn't have thought twice about endo if I hadn't have said anything (I thank GOD for that nurse who juts happened to mention it to me).

Anyway she seems to think that it's a very likely possibility and I am supposed to hear back from a OBGYN by the end of the week to schedule a laparscopy (sp?).

I guess I'm just wondering what advice you have to give? I'm 24 and we currently have no children. My dr explained that endo can be treated with laparscopy, but severe cases may end up with full blown abdominal surgery to remove everything (or a possible hysterectomy). I've been doing some reading on other sites and I see women talking about having this laparscopy done 2, 3, 4 or more times... I guess I'm just a little discouraged. I'm frustrated b/c we've been trying so dilligently to get pregnant for over a year now, and something like this seems like an even bigger set back.

Do you have any advice to give??

I told her that DH and I have been TTC for over a year and she told me to ask my dr about endometriosis.
This sprang to mind after a few lines can't believe you have to be any more blunt with the health professionals - its stupid!

No personal experience but this thread may help:
https://www.babyandbump.com/showthread.php?p=59814

Welcome to BabyandBump & good luck with your investigations x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back