Newborn feeding help

blessfull

Reaction score
Well my boy was breast feed for 3 days then onto formula since the change he won't take a full bottles,he will just and oz or 2 then stop then 20/30 mins later want the rest, and he will scream during the bottle from wind and get soo worked up! He is now dropping weight a little but still plenty of wet/ dirty nappies had him at the hospital yesterday as he was sick/ vomited and they just said he was fussie, I have tried different bottles and teat sizes and there is no help

Advice???

Hmmm - sounds to me like you have a snacker on your hands. When you say he wont take a whole bottle, how much are you offering him? What's the most he will take? Which milk is he on?

Are you offering anything for his wind?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't have much experience with wind issues (touch wood) but I do with snackers lol. What I did was offer a 'little and often' strategy and gradually eek out the time in between the offerings. After a couple of days we were getting a 'decent' amount of time and milk between feeds - this was when Earl was about 3-4 weeks old and by the time he was 6 weeks I was able to give him 5oz every 2.5 hours in the day which is what his intervals stayed at until weaning.

I offe him 4 oz of sma yellow , he will take 2 oz every 2/3 hours sometimes just a oz,

I'm giving him infacol

He has taken the whole 4 oz twice since being born but would just rather snackm

At that age your baby's stomach is between the size of an apricot and a chicken's egg, with a capacity of about 1.5-2.5 oz. He has to feed little and often because his tiny tummy can't cope with larger amounts. Also, there is a huge growth spurt at 2 weeks which results in cluster feeding. No idea about the wind though, sorry.

My LO didn't have 4oz till he was about 10 weeks, they've got really small stomachs so your LO sounds asif he's doing great. My LO wouldn't go longer than 2 hours till he was about 10 weeks then stretches to 2 n half. So just carry on offering small and often. They will take what they need do just follow there lead.

My midewife is saying he is taking to little and should be eating 3/4 oz every 3 hours she has me very worried

Personally if it was me I would ignor that, every baby is different so it is impossie to make such statements as that. I would also love to meet a newborn than goes 3 hours between feeds.

Ignore your midwife, very few babies comply with what they "should" be doing! 3 hours is a very long time for a newborn. As long as he is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies he will be fine. :)

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YUMeGSTdktk/UgkA5EORCaI/AAAAAAAABds/X0R_QWHo404/s640/Baby+Stomach+Size.png

The 'adviced' amount (but obv this can vary aswel) is your LO weight x 2.5 and than that should be how many oz they take in 24hrs.

Eg. 10lb x 2.5 = 25 oz.

But I wouldnt worry too much about it. If there's plenty wet/dirty nappies then your doing fine. Keep doing what your doing :)

My 6.5 month only sometimes goes 3 hours between feeds and still sometimes will only take 4 oz. he is gaining fine. I wouldn't listen to your midwife if you feel okay with what is happening. At that age my lo was feeding 2 oz max but very often like 1.5 hourly.

Im going through somthing similer yet mine scoffs 3/4 onces and still wants to snack.
Try 2 onces every 2 hours or just generally whenever they want it.
When they are like this its best to do littleand often.
How are they at bringing up wind? Is ut quite hard to di with them?
My first son was awfull for trapped wind and suffered with sever colic.
Dr brown bottles or anti colic plus are pretty good for reducing wind but they still gulp if crying.
A combination of littleand often, anti colic plus bottles, infacol (they become pretty immune to this after a week or so though and it doesnt work as well after) good winding should help to keep him a bit calmer and reducing wind so it will gradualy get easier.
Failing that there is the possibility that the milk doesnt agree with them and you may need to think about comfert formula

I offe him 4 oz of sma yellow , he will take 2 oz every 2/3 hours sometimes just a oz,

I'm giving him infacol

He has taken the whole 4 oz twice since being born but would just rather snackm

Given that, 2 things stand out.

You're on SMA - I use SMA and have never had problems but some people including my old HV (who was actually very good) said that it's the heaviest and others like C&G/Aptamil are lighter on the stomach. Wind and constipation are often associated with it.

Infacol can take time to build up - I use it myself and it's always been enough, but I know others find it hit and miss.

I would probably just follow his lead. 2oz every 2 hours is the same amount of milk just spread out over time and will be less stressful to his tummy, then you can see if you can maybe get him to take 3 on occasion and spread himself out over time. No rush with these things. :hugs:

Like other have said, just keep doing what you're doing. Feeding him however much he wants, when he wants it. Overfeeding by trying to get a whole 4 oz in him will cause him to vomit, meaning he might end up gaining less weight than if he ate smaller amounts more regularly. To give you an idea, my baby wasn't able to eat 4 oz at once until she was about 3 months old. She was a very happy, content baby.

You might also think of switching formulas. More babies tend to have trouble with SMA than others. More wind and constipation. You might find you get on with it, but there are other options so no harm exploring something different if it isn't working.

But your baby is also only a week old. It takes them a long time for their digestion to get up and working well, especially with formula, which is rougher on tummies than BM can be. So it might also just be a matter of making him comfortable and riding it out until he gets a bit older.

Just had the midewife in and she was suggesting cow and gate comfort, anyone used it?

I haven't read all posts as in a hurry but your lo seems fine. Its normal for them to have a little and often approach at that age as their stomachs are so small. So long as you have wet and dirty nappies don't worry. Its also normal for them to lose a bit of weight at first. As for the wind keep going with the infacol and look up different winding techniques as you might need to try a few to see what works for your lo. My lo had colic and things were much better with gripe water so try that when lo is old enough if things haven't improved.

This was the same for our LO she would only have 2oz at a time, she is 12 weeks and has only just started taking 4oz.

We had her on cow and gate comfort just be prepared for a couple of extra smelly nappies but it did seem to help a little. Try into persevere with the infacol as it takes about 2 weeks to build up in the system. From what I've read SMA is a pretty rich formula so it takes time for some babies to digest it.

In the first few weeks I was forever changing winding positions as I just could get any out so you might have to do some baby gymnatics for now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->