Newborn sick with cold-help!

ParisJeTadore

Mum to my beautiful kids!
Reaction score
I knew this was a possibility with my eldest in preschool but I was really hoping it wouldn't happen so soon! She is only 11 days old and despite our very best efforts still managed to catch her older brothers cold. So far it seems mild (some nose congestion and sneezing) but I am really worried about it getting worse because she is so little.

Has anyone been in this situation? Any tips or suggestions for getting through this?

My LO has had a stuffy nose for weeks now and the NoseFrida Snotsucker has been a total lifesaver. I had to psych myself up to use it the first time, but have loved it since! Keeps him breathing nice and clear. :)

Good luck, hope your sweet baby feels better soon!

Emma caught a cold off her older siblings at a week old, all that happened was a slightly snotty nose and lots of sneezing. It didn't get any worse than that, hopefully it's the same for you.

My first LO didn't get a cold till he was about 20 months old so it was scary having a sick newborn, however the baby seemed to take it all in her stride.

My little one one is older 16 weeks. But just getting over 1st cold. We have been using nasal drops. Which r suitable from birth. Also rubbing on 'snuffle babe'. But that one is suitable for 3 months plus.

Also ive been letting him sleep in his carry cot on pushchair because its not as flat as mosses basket which has helped.

Yep, DS2 caught a cold off DS1 at 7 days old. All you really need to do is make sure their nose is clear enough to feed still, otherwise just keep them comfortable. Newborns are still heavily protected by mum's antibodies so it likely won't be very bad.

My second was born in winter and my eldest caught a cold from preschool every couple of weeks, all of which he passed on to the baby. The baby was absolutely fine, he got through it!

I'm dealing with this right now. My daughter just started preschool and brought home a bug. She just had a mild cold with a runny nose, sneezing and coughing. Not only did the baby catch it but her brother caught it too. Her brother caught the stomach flu, not sure if it was from her or not but the poor baby didn't have a chance. So far she just seems to have a mild cold and I hope it stays that way, doesn't get any worse. It is tough when all your kids are sick. It is a mother's worst nightmare because when one gets sick, the rest of them come down like the plague.

Thank you so much for your reassuring replies. I will look into the nose sucker mentioned as she is quite congested at the moment and rather unhappy about it. We have a doctors app. this noon hour so hoping that will help. It is definitely worrying when baby is so small. And I couldn't agree more that it sucks big time as a mom when one child brings home a sickness be you know before long the whole household will wind up sick! Ds managed to pass it to ds2 , then baby and now both my husband and I are coming down with it, aargh.

We're all sick here too thanks to DS! I felt so horrible for my newborn too, but I've been cleaning out her nose which she hates but it helps.

Guess we Bette get used to this!

We're all sick here too thanks to DS! I felt so horrible for my newborn too, but I've been cleaning out her nose which she hates but it helps.

Guess we Bette get used to this!

Oh no! Hope your family is better soon! It took over a week for everyone to recover here and a few lousy nights with baby due to congestion but all is well again. I'm honestly dreading my ds1 will bring home plenty more from nursery school but I guess that's the reality when you have older children.

Are you breastfeeding?

If yes you can take a few things yourself that will pass to your baby in your breast milk.

Get a good wholefoods base vitamin c and take some yourself daily.

A good cod liver oil for yourself

Eccenachia (sorry can't spell it) for yourself.

My baby got really sick over winter and I went to an holistic doctor and this is what he told me to do. If you pick just one of them do the vitamin c.

Spudtastic, thanks for the tips! We are all better now and found taking Vitamin C and raw crushed garlic once or twice a day along with turmeric tea really helped. Thankfully, baby didn't react to the raw garlic in my breast milk.

Spudtastic, thanks for the tips! We are all better now and found taking Vitamin C and raw crushed garlic once or twice a day along with turmeric tea really helped. Thankfully, baby didn't react to the raw garlic in my breast milk.

That's awesome :winkwink: (meant to be a happy face) glad baby is better.
I have a great recipe for 30 clove garlic soup. Basically stock, garlic, and tumeric and it's delicious. So good for sickness.

That's awesome :winkwink: (meant to be a happy face) glad baby is better.
I have a great recipe for 30 clove garlic soup. Basically stock, garlic, and tumeric and it's delicious. So good for sickness.

I swear garlic has amazing healing properties. Ever since I started taking it when sick it seems to really lessen my cold symptoms. Garlic soup sounds awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->