Nightime breast milk different to daytime?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Ive made a couple of posts now about expressing, and am doing a bit of research online anf have just read about a study that says there are higher levels of certain sleep inducing 'chemicals' in breastmilk after 8pm that help relax babies and aid sleep. The study said that as a result of this mothers should avoid giving milk expressed in the morning at nightime feeds?

Is this true? Anyone found it works better in terms of sleep to give ONLY nightime milk at night?

I have heard this too...cant comment on how true i think it is other than my baby for past few days has been sleepin better at night than in the day...but that could also be due to co sleeping?

I'm giving morning milk tonight so I will let you know lol

I can honestly say that I don't notice any difference whether DS has milk expressed during the day at night or vice versa.

There is a difference in the milk. What you produce at night is geared toward helping the baby learn day from night and for helping them sleep.

However, some babies are not phased by this. While in general it is a good idea to keep night milk for night, that is not always convenient or possible and milk is better than no milk.

Interesting!! DD2 doesn't really have a sleeping pattern yet so it's hard to tell. I've heard that milk flow is usually slower at night (which is why we think our supply is lower) but the milk is fatter and has more calories per ounce so baby still gets everything he/she needs :)

I'm not sure really. If I express I normally express in the morning, but then the difference in sleep that I see in my daughter could be the fact she's had a bottle and not boob.

I'm not sure really. If I express I normally express in the morning, but then the difference in sleep that I see in my daughter could be the fact she's had a bottle and not boob.

What difference do you see? Is she better or worse during the night with the expressed milk?

Hmm, I haven't heard this but it's interesting. My boy is quite sleepy all morning anyway (he was in the womb too!) so I'm not sure if notice a difference but am going to pay more attention. I'm alternating between expressing & breast because he wouldn't latch at first. The midwife told me to pump after each of his feeds so it's ready to give him next time (and too up with formula). He's getting better now but my nipples are so intensely sore that I'm giving them a rest today because I cried all the way through his last breastfeed, which can't be good for either of us :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->