nighttime noises; I'm not sleeping!

gaves99

DD May 2014, DSD Aug 2003
Reaction score
My 7 week old has been awful in the night right after her first feeding. I feed her, burp her and once asleep she goes back into the crib. The min shes in the crib it starts... She grunts and groans sounding like a gremlin (lol) like she's trying to poop or pass gas but doesn't and I try gas drops and burping.again. Lasts off and on for hour+ but in the meantime I can't sleep. Anyone have this or have suggestions since I'm not getting much sleep..

Not really any advice but my LO did this from birth til about 10 weeks. She would grunt constantly sooo loudly. We were actually worried something was wrong with her!

It lessened as she got bigger so I think it is just a case of wait it out as their digestive system matures....and invest in some earplugs!

Same here! It's not as often now at 8 weeks but when they are doing it, it is the loudest sound in the world lol. I am sure they ONLY do it in the middle of the night!
It seemed to help if he was in a deeper sleep when I put him down.

It's just crazy! It's driving me nuts.. she seems fine when in my arms or co-sleeping so I don't get it and def don't want to start bad habits of her only sleeping with me. Up most of the night until 530 trying everything I could think of.

Honestly two months ago I could have written this myself. I don't think there is anything you can do to help. Our problem always got progressively worse as the night went on (as she had more feeds) and by the early hours DD was grunting and straining so noisily it was ridiculous! Like sleeping next to a piglet! This would carry on til about 7.30am when she would normally manage a huge poo and then she would be ok. The odd thing is she only did it in her crib, like you said if she was being held or was in our bed it was almost none existant! No idea why though. Unfortunately you can't really help them much, they just have to grow out of it but I do feel your pain!

This is an actual thing - grunting baby syndrome as I believe it's referred to. Apparently it's all to do with them learning how to simultaneously tighten muscle to push whilst also relaxing the sphincter to let it out. Perfectly, totally normal.

I read about some people 'helping' their baby by stimulating the sphincter with a cotton bud or thermometer but this is largely discredited as it only prolongs the time their little bums don't know what to do! The nightly warthog impressions don't last long so keep smiling, and if you're awake anyway maybe you could video it to show at LO's 18th birthday party!! Kidding of course but the thought made me laugh when my daughter was doing it!

Our lo did the same thing..it was so hard to sleep lol but now she's almost six months old and I actually had forgotten that she used to keep me up doing that :) it'll stop soon enough!

With both of mine it lasted until about 10 weeks. I couldn't sleep through it either, it was like sleeping in a barnyard!

All newborns do this to some degree my lo sounds exactly like a car turning corners at 60 mile an hour she screeches that loud she also grunts too. It's stops around 2-3 months. What I found helpful was to keep lo on me until in a deep sleep then transfer her/ for some reason the grunts stop while in a deep sleep. I have heard other mums use earplugs as it cuts out the sound of the grunts but not high pitch crying. I wouldn't reccomend this though... I would be paranoid about if lo was choking and I couldn't hear.

Oh ym goodness I remember the early days...we had no idea a baby made so much noise and used to joke it was like having a pet gremlin in our room! It does stop, I can't remember when, but definitely in the early days. It would last for hours on end too and I nw so wish I'd filmed her as I'd love to listen to it again now x

it's been happening for about a week now. I'm miserably exhausted. After the mid-night feeding she will fall asleep on my chest quiet as can be... the second she gets put down on her back it starts! Right now we don't have a bassinet, only a full crib in our room. DSD has a room here so not sure I want to full time move the crib. I also have a cat so I either want her next to me or she'd need to be in the other room with the door shut and not sure I like that. Ugh hope it goes away soon.

it's been happening for about a week now. I'm miserably exhausted. After the mid-night feeding she will fall asleep on my chest quiet as can be... the second she gets put down on her back it starts! Right now we don't have a bassinet, only a full crib in our room. DSD has a room here so not sure I want to full time move the crib. I also have a cat so I either want her next to me or she'd need to be in the other room with the door shut and not sure I like that. Ugh hope it goes away soon.

What about putting the cat outside at night? When I had a cat years ago she used to love going out at night. Then you can put lo in another room with the door open :) hth x

I wish, that's an easy solution. He is an indoor cat. I live in a city and in a neighborhood that he wouldn't survive the night without an animal fight or car hitting him from main road.

Been letting her co-sleep after that feeding and it's allowing me to get more sleep but don't want to continue doing this. Usually bring her in about 5 and DH tends to get up about 630-7. She has been fine all night tonight... it's now 4 am and when I go to put her back now after bf'ing she will start. Why only now?

oh dear, my son is also like that, i am co-sleeping now. we used to put him in his cot but he would grunt like after 30 minutes we have put him down, believe me you wont sleep because of the noise because you will constantly chech up on her and when you get there,the eyes are closed,it is just noises . now he sleeps with us,when he starts with the noises i just put my arm around him giving the illusion that he is sleeping in my arms, then the noise will stop.

My little guy does it too and he's only 5 days old! As other have said, when I bring him into the bed with me to sleep for a little while, he stops!!!

I wish, that's an easy solution. He is an indoor cat. I live in a city and in a neighborhood that he wouldn't survive the night without an animal fight or car hitting him from main road.

Been letting her co-sleep after that feeding and it's allowing me to get more sleep but don't want to continue doing this. Usually bring her in about 5 and DH tends to get up about 630-7. She has been fine all night tonight... it's now 4 am and when I go to put her back now after bf'ing she will start. Why only now?

My lo is 4 weeks tomorrow and at the moment we are co sleeping because a) the grunts and b) it's easier to breastfeed laying down and fall asleep together :) however, I do plan on transitioning her to her cot around 8 weeks when breastfeeding is established and she feeds only once through night and a dream feed at 11. If she is still fussing at 3 months I plan on doing the baby whisperer technique and nip it in the bud early on. As long as I keep putting her down during the day in her travel cot in the living room she should not get used to always sleeping with me and it won't be so hard for her to adjust to her cot full time through the night. At the moment she is a newborn and needs her mummy plus I love the night snuggles x

What is the baby whisperer technique?

You pick baby up as soon as she cries, then put her straight back down the second she stops..aka pick up put down technique. Can take 100 pick ups the first night but it gets better over the days and by the end of the week you can put lo down awake in cot without any fuss. I did it with my 13 month and he loves his cot now :) it's a good way because they don't feel like you have abandoned them because you stay with them until they fall asleep- your just helping them sleep in theory... Try google it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->