Nipple shields = longer feeds times?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

At the moment im using nipple shields, with the odd feed without to gradually move off them, and my LO seems to take a long time to feed and often falls asleep around the 20 min mark so I have to wake her to continue. Feeds are taking 60 mins or more. Ive read that they have to work harder to get the milk with a shield, is this true?
I know shes getting plenty as is gaining weight really well, having lots of wet and dirty nappies and the shield is always full of milk when she comes off.

Anyone else who's used a shield find feeds are quicker without?

I am having the same problem. LO won't latch without a shield, we had lots of BF issues early on, but at 1 week he started feeding with a shield. Our feeds are around the hour mark too. I would love some advise to shorten this time. I'll be stalking this.

My baby was the same at around the same time with nipple shields. She still fell asleep while feeding until recently. At baby's first appointment at the hospital post birth they asked about feed durations and frequency...didn't seem abnormal to them but I hadn't mentioned nipple shields.

I'm not using nipple shields but my lo takes about an hour to feed as well. He falls asleep multiple times and I have to constantly wake him (which is difficult because he's jaundiced so extra sleepy!). I think it's normal for a newborn to feed so long, I would just stick to what you're doing. Let lo feed as long as she wants as often as she wants. In time the length of feeds will shorten I'm sure.

It could be the shield, but it just may be the way your milk flows. Be very careful with them. I used one with my #2 and it went horribly wrong. As my milk wouldn't increase enough with using one. So the faster you can take her off of it the better. GL

I started using them last week as lo was refusing to latch and it does take longer. Before she would get w good feed in 5-10 minutes, now she takes about 20. I'm hoping that once she gets used to them and gets bigger, she'll get quicker.

I started using them last week as lo was refusing to latch and it does take longer. Before she would get w good feed in 5-10 minutes, now she takes about 20. I'm hoping that once she gets used to them and gets bigger, she'll get quicker.

Wow 20 mins for us is a quick feed! :) hopefully as LO gets bigger we might be down to 5/10 mins. Im not using the shields now and haven't for 2 days but feeds are still 45-60 mins. Maybe its her age (now 8 days)

I've been nursing without a shield yesterday and she feeds for roughly the same amount of time.

I'm going to try to stop using the shield too. Hopefully it will cut down on the feeding time. I also hope he gets more milk. After our ling feeds, he usually needs 2-3 oz of formula. He's a hungry boy! I feel like all he foes is eat!

Our Bea used to get exhausted with the shields too and used to simply give up on feeding. I was worried about her ending up jaundiced if she didn't feed well so I quit the shields on day 3 and started partially pumping instead until my nipples healed. I wouldn't supplement with formula yet, just try to increase your supply pumping (if you can, of course). It would help your baby feed quicker and better, your nipples heal, and your supply stay high :hugs: :flower:

It did feel like my LO was feeding for hours sometimes but it was a growth spurt sometime and I also needed to improve my eating habits. I now have protein at every meal and increased my fluid intake. It helped some of my issues but it could also be a coincidence as they do have growth spurts from time to time and it makes it seem like they're hungry all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->