Nipples STILL SO sore 3 wk old

newlywedtzh

A Mom At Last!
Reaction score
I've been breastfeeding for about 3 weeks (new mom) and it is getting easier but my nipples are so so sore. I've gotten the latch down on the left side and nursing on that side is pain free but my nipple is still very tender and sore ( no bleeding or anything like that though). My right breast has been a challenge and I was using a nipple shield up until a few days ago. I'm still working on her latch and nursing on that side can be painful even when the latch seems correct(sometimes it is pain free though and I will unlatch her if it starts to hurt). That nipple is really sore as well.

I dread nursing her bc of the pain and I get so nervous before hand and during.

Does my right nipple feeding still hurt bc it hasnt toughened like the left due to using the nipple shield the first two weeks ?

If my latch is correct and nursing is pain free then why is my left nipple still so sore??

I've been using the Lansinoh ointment but I don't think it does much and letting them air dry as much as possible.

She is making plenty of wet and yellow seedy diapers

Does the more difficult nipple appear misshapen, pinched, angled or have any white patches or stripes when it comes out of her mouth after a feed?

Do you notice any difference if you feed in a more laid back/reclined (like in the bath) position or on your side?

yes it looks pinched a little and white marks... what does that mean? I feel pain above the nipple... not on the nipple itself if that makes any sense.

yes it looks pinched a little and white marks... what does that mean? I feel pain above the nipple... not on the nipple itself if that makes any sense.

It sounds like she hasn't quite got the art of latching correctly. She may be using her gums to clamp down or just not quite have enough of the areola in her mouth. Some babies just "get it" better on one side and a "football" hold on the tricky side can help till they are a bit older. Even if it doesn't fix the issue, it puts the pressure on a new part of the breast which can be a relief in itself!

Or she could be clamping to slow the flow of milk if that side has a stronger let down. Feeding lying backwards (so that gravity stops the milk flowing as quickly) can help little ones cope with fast flow . The shields might have been helping with this if it is an issue.

I did have pain above the nipple too - like a bit of skin is trapped somewhere.

Definitely try different feeding positions to see what works and what offers relief!

Hmm I think it might be a mixture of both of those things as nursing on the right side is still somewhat painful and I kno it shouldn't be. That nipple is a little flatter but she's def drawing it out more and more. I'm just going to keep practicing I guess I mean that's all u can do right? I think I'm also a little more comfortable nursing on the left. It just feels more comfy. Maybe bc my right hand is free.
I think I do have a fast letdown bc she chokes sometimes and also gets "mad" while she's latched n nursing.
Will my nipples ever feel better ?

Thanks so much!

Oh yes it definitely takes practice and as you both get used to it and she gets bigger it should become pain free. For me that happened at week 11 but it sounds like your LO has a better latch (at least on one side) than mine did at that age. A lot of Mums I talk to find between 3 and 6 weeks is when it becomes easier and pain free.

If you continue to get unbearable pain, develop mastitis or LOs weight or urine/poo output becomes a worry, then it would be worth seeing a qualified lactation consultant.

Sounds like you are doing great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->