No Idea How to Cook!

BackToBasics

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm nineteen years-old and I'm pregnant on my first child. I've lived the very comfy life where everything has been done for me, I have not cooked or made anything in my entire life. :blush:

Now that I'm pregnant however and starting my own family, I would love to learn how to cook ... however my family are the type to just buy it all frozen and stick it in the oven/microwave or whatever. I would like to cook my meals from fresh produce and from scratch but my family obviously don't know how to do that so I can't go to them. So if any of you have any tips or ideas for a beginner like me I would really appreciate a little help. :angelnot:

Thanks
Hazel. x

start experimenting. look up easy recpies and try out a few. can you do stuff like eggs and toast and boil rice or pasta?

What kind of meals do you enjoy eating?

Like Tsia said, learning to boil pasta and rice, or to make scrambled eggs etc are good first steps before you move onto anything else.

If you can five a general idea of what you would like to eat and cook, we can help you more from there!

You should have a look on the NetMums website, they have loads of cheap and easy to cook meals on there. Feel free to message me if you want specific instructions on cooking things :thumbup:, or just google 'how to boil an egg' or whatever you want to cook. How did we cope without google...

one good thing to learn to make is a basic tomato sauce as this can be used as the basis of a lot of different meals.

I would start off writing a list of meals you like and want to learn to cook. This will give you a starting point.

Start with pasta and get comfortable with it. When you feel better maybe get to grips with meats, chicken...mince etc x

Like the other ladies have said, id be more than happy to help but you'd need to give me an idea of what your favourite kind of foods are.
Im 19 too but due to family circumstances i learnt to cook when i was about 9 and i now cook dinner most nights for a fussy family of 5 lol. Id love to help if you'd like xxx

Aww thanks guys. :D
Well, I like everything really, although OH doesn't like stuff like mushrooms, tomatoes, or anything like that so I'd like to be able to cater for him too.

I managed to bake three cakes the other day by myself which I'm extremely proud of! And I've mastered the pasta. Didn't think I'd enjoy preparing food this much but it is quickly turning into a hobby.

Next, I'd love to be able to make a home made soup if anyone has any tips??

Again, thank you all so much. <3

When I make soup i just chop whatever veg I have and put into a pan or slow cooker with some stock - you can add whatever you want reaaly. Cook it all - i.e until the veg are cooked (you can leave longer though) and then blend.

You can blend the soup, or if you like it chunky, just throw in any veggies you have, some stock and maybe experiment with some herbs or spices if you're feeling brave and then to bulk it up, add in some barley, or rice or pasta and even some lentils. You can add in some chicken or small meatballs or anything like that. It's hard to go wrong with soup!

i dont know if you ave a sure start center but they offer healthy cooking lessoins for free x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->