No More Night Nursing - Questions!

SpotlessMind

Reaction score
Hi ladies, a few questions regarding this topic :)

I just stopped feeding my almost-8-month-old nursling in the middle of the night. This started 2 nights ago because she woke up around 2, 4, and 6, but each time she was already back to sleep by the time I got to her. I see that as her telling me she's ready to stop waking me in the middle of the night altogether, so last night, we changed up our bedtime routine so I put her down full but awake (her bedtime is 10pm) to help her stop associating nursing so strongly with sleeping. A bit off the point but she did not wake me up until 5, at which point I just rubbed her head and pat her butt to help her relax and left her awake again. She put herself back to sleep at that point until 8:30 this morning :happydance:

This brings me to my first question. My breastfeeding goal is 1 year, and I plan to pump/nurse it ALL off in the morning. Yesterday I got 8oz then nursed her on both sides twice (she gets agitated when there's less in there so we switch back and forth a couple times), and today I got 9.5 oz and nursed her on both sides twice. If I keep this up, will my breasts think I need to continue producing as much for that big of a "feed" in the morning? This would be really helpful since I've always had a perfectly tailored supply to how much my daughter eats, so until now it was difficult for me to pump anything substantial, which I need to send with her when she stays with her dad on the weekends. I'm really hoping my supply doesn't decrease because she stops waking up at night, and I have rather large breasts so I'm not super uncomfortable until I can pump 12 ounces. The only reason I'd have for waking up in the middle of the night to pump would be supply, and I'd really like to take advantage of the sleep. Now going 10 - 11 hours a night without nursing, do you think will my supply diminish and I'll stop being able to pump as much in the morning?

Second question, obviously for speculation because I know everyone is different, will my cycles return now? Don't worry, I'm not sexually active so I'm not using breastfeeding as birth control because I know it's not 100%, but I have to say I've really enjoyed being lucky enough to not have them return yet. I guess I'm just looking for similar experiences of ladies who's LO's started sleeping about this long: how long did it take you until you got AF?

Thanks for any opinions and advice :hugs:

Mine is not yet sleeping through, but AF returned last month. It happens when it happens. In fact, she is back again today (*cue grumbling*). I'm thinking of trying to completely cut out night feeds. LO is in sleep regression right now and keeps waking himself but won't nurse. I swear. It's super frustrating.

Mine is not yet sleeping through, but AF returned last month. It happens when it happens. In fact, she is back again today (*cue grumbling*). I'm thinking of trying to completely cut out night feeds. LO is in sleep regression right now and keeps waking himself but won't nurse. I swear. It's super frustrating.

My DD had her sleep regression when she started spending a night at her dad's on the weekends :cry: But one night of cutting out night feeds, and she immediately got back her 10pm - 5am stretch she had been getting (which I know is technically STTN, but since she sleeps until 8 - 8:30 I want to see if we can permanently go the whole stretch without nursing)

I've been extremely fortunate, I don't know if it's because I was still nursing on demand or what but even going to her dad's and pumping less often than she nurses for 2 days a week (because I'm not an efficient pumper, I can hardly get any if I pump as often as she eats because I can never empty my breasts even close to like she can), I've gone almost 17 months without a period between pregnancy and BFing :happydance:

Some people get it back nursing round the clock 6 weeks PP, some have to cease all nursing before it comes back. Hormones are a finicky thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->