No Prenatal Appointments until 2nd tri?!

zmzerbe

Chance & Baby Z
Reaction score
Because of a lot of he said, she said, I am switching my OB practice. I have not been seen yet for this pregnancy other than 2 ultrasounds and a round of blood-work. I am incredibly upset and have made the decision to change doctors.

My nurse intake appointment is the 28th and my first OB appointment is the 7th; which will put me at 14 + 2.

Has anyone else gone without a proper appointment until 2nd tri?

and was everything happy and healthy? I know that there are woman out there that don't even know they are pregnant at this point, but It makes me worried, since I've had recurrent losses

I live in Canada and before I decided to seek care from a Midwife I would have stayed with my GP until 30 weeks, then an OB would have taken over care from there.
As long as your previous physician ran all the initial blood work and you have had an ultrasound (some only get 1 at 20 weeks, so you are ahead of the game). Other than that I see my GP/Midwife every four weeks and all they do is take Blood Pressure and weight and if there is any pain they will do urine or bloods. I think you have already had more than most by 14 weeks.

Because we only get 2 ultrasounds here (unless there is a risk) I didn't even have my first Ultrasound until 14 weeks. You should be good as long as you aren't having any pain/cramping/bleeding and you are taking a prenatal you should be good.

I live in Canada and before I decided to seek care from a Midwife I would have stayed with my GP until 30 weeks, then an OB would have taken over care from there.
As long as your previous physician ran all the initial blood work and you have had an ultrasound (some only get 1 at 20 weeks, so you are ahead of the game). Other than that I see my GP/Midwife every four weeks and all they do is take Blood Pressure and weight and if there is any pain they will do urine or bloods. I think you have already had more than most by 14 weeks.

Because we only get 2 ultrasounds here (unless there is a risk) I didn't even have my first Ultrasound until 14 weeks. You should be good as long as you aren't having any pain/cramping/bleeding and you are taking a prenatal you should be good.

I had bloods taken the day the doctor confirmed I was pregnant at 4 weeks, a dating ultrasound at 6 weeks (no fetal pole or hb detected) and I had a hemorrhagic cyst on my ovary so they brought me back at 8 weeks to check to make sure there was a hb. I haven't had any visit with any doctor or nurse yet other than the one that confirmed my pregnancy. The ultrasound techs didn't tell me anything about baby or the cyst, just that they were there. They didn't even tell me my due date or anything, I just read it on the screen.

I haven't had any appointments so far and I am 10wks. My first ultrasound is a week from today when I will be 11+2 I'm supposed to have blood work then. My first OB appointment isn't until Oct 15. That being said I'm nervous as well because they considered me high risk last time and I had several appointments by now. I'm just trying to stay positive and hope for the best.

If you are getting the Nuchal Screening (for downs, chromosome abnormalities, etc.) I would call you doctor to get that U/S done, they can only do those up to 14+2. Not everyone gets them though, there is also a set of bloodwork that go with those. You should get tested for all sexually transmitted infections as well as some others tests - Sorry I cannot remember what all they are for. They took around 9 vials from me once my pregnancy was confirmed. (I want to say about 8 weeks) As well they did a Urine screen to check for protein in my urine. Also, this is what I had in Canada - I know in the states it is much more common to get more ultrasounds, etc. But if you are interested in the nuchal translucency screening you should see if they can get you in for that prior to 14 weeks. (Mine was scheduled for 14 weeks and my babe was measuring 14+4, so it wasn't accurate)

With my son I only had a 20 week ultrasound done and then one right before I was induced to check on my fluid level. I don't even think that my doctors ever offered me a nuchal screening.

They don't do any other then what you have already had done anyway. Your Dr can get full blood work done for you and a referral for NT scan.
They will just write your notes up, check bp and maybe check for HB. I seen my midwife clinic for the 1st time at 11 and a half weeks and wont see them again until 19 weeks. ( unless something isn't right with my NT scan )

I know how frustrating it is to have recurrent loss and feeling ignored by your doctor. I started bleeding and they still didn't do anything. I switched doctors because of it.
Thankfully they saw me ASAP and I got an u/s that showed a happy baby and no cause for the bleed. But the first tri they don't do much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->