No spend/low spend days.

Scoobys mummy

Reaction score
Does anyone do this? I've recently moved house and want so many things but I'm awful at saving and tend to blow money on junk.i read about no/low spend days and thought it was a good idea. I started by doing a decent shop on fri (Iceland and lidls instead of asda) and am aiming to spend the minimum amount possible on other days. Yesterday I spent 53p on coleslaw as I had a salad planned for dinner. Today so far it's been £1 at toddler group. Hoping to put off shopping until thurs again, we have plenty to eat in freezer/tinned etc. does anyone wanna try this?

Ooh yeah, I kinda do this now but it never sticks ha! Today I've had a low cost day.

Bought envelopes: £1.29
2 x kids toys at post office £2.98
4 little bags of Haribo 40p
100g bag of rosy apples for me 79p

That's been it today, other than postage for items I've posted but that was accounted for when I sold the clothes.

Yesterday was not a low spend day:

£110 food shopping
£20 on lunch out for us all
£35 party deposit.

Let's home tomorrow is better :)

I really try to do this so we have more cash on the days hubby is off today my mum and sister visited and I spend;
£6.79 in Aldis shopping with my sister on bananas, steak for fajitas, cream cheese, ryevita, cream cakes.
2.49 on happy meal for ds.

I try to visit family or go to a local cafe where I will have a tea £1.89 and pay for the soft play here for ds1 £1.50 this is a cheap day out

Tomorrow will be mum and tots group so only £1 but dh is off the rest of day with us so we will spend money

Yes!

Today

£12.98 on two pan au chocolat, bottle of water, packet of cigarettes and two scratchcards!

then £6 ish at uni on a panini, packet of crisps bottle of water and a cup of tea!

I don't spend much in the week, in fact I can get by without buying anything other than our weekly shop. I spend £1.50 on toddler group, maybe a £5 on soft play though on odd occasion, we do free activities like walks, art activities, playing with her toys, puzzles, library etc. I just don't go to the shop unless necessary then we don't spend lol. I used to spend more when I worked as I would buy lunch, now I take pack lunch for me and lo when I am out. We get one big shop a week and I make sure we use it all. We may spend a bit more at weekend to go out though not every weekend and dh has one work day at weekend so that means we are doing stuff near home, I don't drive so everything tends to be walkable distance or if going in to nearest big town I grab a lift with dh when going to work then me and lo make a day of it and then meet him at end of work

I've had this as one of my new year resolutions, doing very badly so far though. Today I spent £60 on diesel and £12 on bits and pieces for lunches

we have no money at the moment , I have been taking lo to the library on our day off together and back for lunch, play in the afternoon.

and playdates are the way to go ! take turns at each others houses with a floor picnic

I don't buy a thing monday to thursday I've been doing this for 3 months now and have saved on wasting money on junk

Well I spent £15 on a top up shop tonight as my mum looks after dd on a tues and mil on a Wednesday. They don't drive so i Feel I should have enough in to cover their lunches etc. I only bought what was on offer though and no extras. Im not taking my debit card to work tomorrow and will take a packed lunch,so I should make it through to fri now on relatively little.

I love saving :blush:
I find transferring the money into a saving account really helps x

Usually I can do this, I fill up my car on a Friday and do a shop for the week and thats it. However with the wedding being so close I'm spending all over the place lol xx

I'm having some money troubles at the moment but even before this I don't tend to spend any money from Monday to Friday, we stay in on Monday, LO is at school tens to thurs then on Friday we do something free like go to the library/park. I do my shopping at the weekend and that's when I spend money on crap really, planning on starting online food shopping so I just buy what we need and nothing more x

I quite often go through 5 or 6 days not spending a penny. It's easy when i'm at home/college cos I have nowhere to spend it :haha:

I only do one weekly shop and I don't remember the last time I needed to top up on anything midweek so that helps. I find if I go to the shops for milk, I end up buying a cake and some fruit and it goes on!

With things I want but don't need, I'm starting to buy them at the end of the month rather than the start. Up until now I'd buy everything at the start and then have nothing spare for the rest of the month, which was a pain if something unexpected came up. It means I have a while to think about things before buying them, so I know if I really want them. I'm also transferring the month's grocery money into a separate account so I know I can't dip into food money for anything else. I hope that will help!

I've been trying to be a little better. I'm making more of an effort to go to more toddler groups & cheap/free activities throughout the week as I find if I don't have any plans when LO is at school, I go to the supermarket for '1' thing and spend loads. It seems to be going well in that respect as I have only been in a supermarket twice since christmas!

The flipside of that is that I'm going through a nesting/redecorating phase so I've bought some stuff that I didn't necessarily completely plan for, like bed linen, a sofa (!), a desk, lamps etc as well as some baby items. I need to stop now!

I just need to stop going out as I spend about £30 on stuff every day that's without weekly shop...pisses hubby right off :/

Friday: £90 on monthly food shop, £20 petrol.
Saturday: £2.60 for 3 hrs car park at the forest.
Sunday:
10p haribo & £1 for 4 pints milk.

monday: £1.99 on magazine for LO as i promised her one.
£1 for 4 pints milk.
oh and £60 for a new mattress for LO.

today: 89p for biscuits as had friends round for the afternoon.

tomorrow will be £2 on apples & bananas. then £15 on postage - its ebay so postage will have been paid by the buyer.

thursday: nothing

Friday £5 for swimming.

ill update if these change but this is my plan! :haha:

ETA: Thursday i spent 99p for a pack of screen protectors for my phone but spent nothing friday as LO is all stuffed up with a cold.

tomorrow i think ill spend that fiver on calpol etc xx

I don't buy much in the week.. only petrol, and Tues-Fri I'll buy a coffee and something to eat when I'm at work but that's it. Some weekends I don't even spend that much, I always eat out on the weekend or get a take away but depends what I'm doing. Mondays I do a big food shop so that's the most expensive day :lol:

Hmmm yeah I have been trying to make an effort to stop buying crap as I'm trying to move house so did a huge declutter but since my house hasn't sold (been on the market since last July) I've sort of ended up recluttering slightly... :blush:

I have been good with reducing grocery waste though, I've organised my cupboards and stopped doing a weekly shop - I was just getting 'the usual' and ending up with too much of things. Now I have post it notes on the fridge where I note down things that I need to get and just get what's on the list when I'm out rather than a weekly shop. It's saving me money and means I use things up rather than them languishing at the back of the fridge or cupboard lol. The money saved means I can do stuff like take the kids to the cinema which they think is ace!

I got paid today so am determined to have at least £50 left on fri. I need to pay for jo jingles this week but I'm going to meal plan tonight for next week and go to lidl tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->