non-hormonal bc options

mercedes2010

Mom of two girls!!
Reaction score
I'm going for my post-natal checkup with my midwife tomorrow and I know one of the topics we'll be discussing is birth control. I already know I don't want hormonal contraception and Coach and I both hate condoms!!

I'd love to hear from some of you ladies who use a form of non-hormonal bc to figure out which method to go with and have a couple of options to discuss with my midwife. Pros and cons welcome! Thanks!

I've been using a diaphragm combined with FAM for over a year with no problems or pregnancy scares :)

I'm looking into getting a coil fitted but I've never had one before. I'm fed up of changing contraceptive pills all the time for one reason or another. I've been on Marvelon for 3 weeks and I can't stop crying over stupid things. I've changed pill 4 times since having my son 2 years ago due to moodiness/sore boobs/acne/headaches/loss of libido. No more hormones!!

I'll be stalking this thread too for advice.

Yes, my midwife recommended the diaphragm since pills make me sick. I've never used one before though, so I'd be interested in hearing from those who have used one...how they like it, is it a hassle or not, etc...

The only other option she mentioned (besides the implant) was condoms. Coach and I were both a solid NO WAY on those!! :haha: Hate those things.

My hubby won't use condoms either he hates them! How does a diaphragm work, not really sure what it is?

The implant is hormonal - I had one for a couple of years and it was pretty good, but I put on a lot of weight with it and I also found it began to hurt towards the end. I suspect it was to do with scar tissue.

I don't want another one, so I'm also looking into non-hormonal bc. I've had the pre-tests done for a coil and am on the waiting list for one. The only thing that makes me nervous is I've heard they can make your periods longer and heavier - yuck. I may yet decide not to get one as hubby doesn't like the idea of something that invasive after the baby. Bless him, he's said if we make do with condoms 'til we've had all our babies he'll get the snip - married a good'un! :)

xx

Yeah, the implant is hormonal but she said since it was progesterone only it might not be as bad for me as the pills with both progesterone and estrogen. Plus the hormone stays in your uterus rather than getting into your whole system. My fear with the implant (Mirena) is the small chance of porforating and attaching to my uterus. Also I fear it's affects on the tiny chance it doesn't work and I DO end up preggo.

Still thinking of going with the diaphragm, especially as it appears I've started a period already!!! Either that or PPB has returned. :dohh:

My hubby won't use condoms either he hates them! How does a diaphragm work, not really sure what it is?

It's a dome-shaped cap that covers your cervix but you have to use spermicide with it or it's not as affective. Good thing though is there's no hormones to make you crazy! :wacko::haha: Oh, and your doc or midwife has to fit you for it.

Don't you have to leave the diaphragm in for 6 hours after sex?

I have the implant and have out on soooo much weight, hate it, I lost all rage weight after the twins and now I'm huge

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->