North Yorkshire Hospital bans ELCS

chuck

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-14724940

Bravo.

It's a good start I suppose but they still have a long way to go to make natural birthing the norm.
I had my last LO in Harrogate and the staff were good but very overstretched (didn't see one much) and I was pressured into lying on the bed in a position suitable for the MW rather than one which suited me. I suppose when they only have a few minutes with each labouring woman they can't waste time getting down to a woman birthing on all fours!

I can't see the video clip on my iPad but is that chris warren they're talking to?

Harrogate dont have a great rep and a high section rate to boot but they always justified it by saying a large number were repeat electives.....well seee what they say if their rate stays the same now!

Airedale made this move recently too but I think that was probably as part if their attempts to clean up their act in general.....the Airedale mums campaigners have really made a difference in getting them to acknowledge their poor maternity care.

I wonder what happens to women who are terrified of childbirth though? I don't like to think women are choosing a ELCS because they're "too posh to push" but why do they choose them?
I just remember seeing women on the ward after a caesarian and they were in so much pain I can't understand why you would choose that option.

They can't ban them. There will be genuine cases where CS may not be medically necessary but is the best option for a woman psychologically.

I think that in some cases there is call for repeat c-sections.
I had a horrific first birth which, after 36 hours of labour reaching 7cm dilated, culminated in an emergency c-section, 4 pint blood loss (most of which was lost prior to the section) And a baby in special care as he wasn't breathing.
When I had my second I had genuine panic attacks and flashbacks when I returned to the hospital. Therefore I asked for a second c-section, I moved hopsitals too to avoid the feeling I got when I was on the orginal labour ward. I was actually terrified of going into labour and having to go through what I went through again, I had my second c-section without any trauma and my son was perfectly healthy.
I think making sweeping statements about repeats being wrong is a mistake, in each case specific circumstances should be considered, in my situation to trauma of the first experience was too much.
I'm not having a go, I just wanted to voice my opinion, I didn't choose a section because it was easier I chose it because it felt like the only option for me.

I got that! :lol: I'm just reiterating your example is a perfect case in point :) I am working with a client who elective cs may be the best way forward for her. I think it's too much of a sensationalist, sweeping statement for the press to say CS are being banned and not really helpful either :dohh:

But a psychological reason IS a medical reason in cases like the above poster mentioned...however a number of women who jump to say they want a ELCS after a prior CS (emergency or otherwise) with the right support would rock a VBAC and be better for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->