Not doing a party for nearly 5 year old

MrsNich

Reaction score
My Ds1 is 5 in a couple of weeks. He is in Reception year at school. He says he would like a party, but we really aren't keen. He has made friends at school but not really good ones yet, there are 22 in his class. So im not really sure which ones he would choose. Plus he still has old nursery friends and cousins. With hiring a hall, bouncy castle, food and party bags, i think it would cost a fortune, especially this time of year. Im not keen spending the money when he wont even be playing with half the children. He had a softplay party last year and another child has one a week earlier so it rules out this option. Im really tempted to have a nice day out to a science venue nearby with a nice meal. Then just invite cousins round on his actual birthday which is a school day. Does this sound really mean? What have others done??

If money is the issue I'd simply tell him that. I would also be tempted to say if he really wants a party then that would be his birthday present from you.
A low cost option is do an old-fashioned house party letting him invite 10/12 kids. Easy food and party games.

Unless he still sees his nursery friends I would say forget them.

I'd do a party home or let him choose 1 or 2 friends to com on a day out with you.

If you'd be happy doing a soft play party then don't be put off by what other people are doing - my daughter has a group of friends through the postnatal class the mums did, we've all stayed friends. As a result their birthdays are all within a two month period - every single one of the I think 6/7 parties was in a hired hall with a bouncy castle and the same core group of people at each. None of the kids were bored!

I would just do a party at home and say he can invite five friends, one for each year. Then you could make if really nice. But maybe I come from a different culture as I would never consider hiring a hall and bouncy castle etc for a five-year-old,

My LO is 5 and hasn't had a party yet. We do go somewhere fun for her birthday though like a themepark type place or the zoo and take a couple friends.

I'll be doing one for her next year though because she will have a well established set of friends by then

I'd just have a party at home with relatives, close friends. Maybe I'm old school but I don't see why people feel the need to hire a hall and spend all that money when a party at home is great.
I had all my parties at home and we all had such fun, party games pass the parcel and musical chairs etc grandparents/ aunts and uncles can join in too!
I don't go in for this expensive parties/gifts thing at all.
What kids want most is your time and energy.

I'm a bit old school too when it comes to birthdays, cake and gifts are a family and close friends thing. This said last year I arranged for a petting zoo to go in to Ds's nursery on his birthday morning, that way he had fun with all the other children and I didn't have to choose only a few to invite elsewhere. Ds knew that I had done it but none of the other children or parents did so it meant there where no gifts from others - something I want to avoid. This year Ds will be 6 and I'm hoping the head teacher will,allow me to get a science demonstration in for his primary 1 class then it will be as last year, home to the family for cake and gifts.

Ive never done a party for my five year old, she was in private nursery from 8 months until she started reception and I didn't know any of the moms or children there as they all went in different days and sessions. Lo was only there two days a week and I wasn't sure who was in her sessions.
Again as she was in private nursery we didn't know anyone when she started reception (all but two of the class had been in preschool together) so she didn't have a party.
I did genuinely think about doing one next year for her sixth birthday but im due two days before her birthday and knowing my luck I will go into labour the day of her party!!

My son was 5 in September and had just started a new school in a new area so I didn't want to do a party when we didn't know anyone so we went to Drayton Manor for the day we went for the weekend last year which was lovely, I'd like him to have a party next year though as he's not had one before so I will cost it up and save months before hand, I like to be prepared so I winged the 5th birthday and will be better prepared next year when he will know people lol. I will probably ensure his whole class can be invited.

If you know someone else with a similar birthday you could always go halves and split the cost? That's what we did last year. There are soft play parties pretty much every week so I wouldn't worry about someone having one the week before if that's what you want to do. My DD had a day out in London for her birthday this year then I said she could invite a few friends round for tea on her actual birthday. I ended up doing party games, party bags and the whole lot and keeping the girls all entertained and happy was quite stressful. Even though it was only a small number I find parties at home a lot more hard work and I think it's much less hassle to hire somewhere and do it away from home if you can.

who says you need a bouncy castle for a fun ay? two of my birthays where held at a playground and i have never seen a birthday party where they had a rented bouncy castle...invite some friends have some cake and games, thats what parties fpor kids are about really.

who says you need a bouncy castle for a fun ay? two of my birthays where held at a playground and i have never seen a birthday party where they had a rented bouncy castle...invite some friends have some cake and games, thats what parties fpor kids are about really.

If only the UK weather was reliable enough to organise a party in a playground!!!
I wanted to hold a family BBQ this year, the weather didn't allow it. I don't even think I got it out the garage nevermind a party.
Softplay centres, halls with bouncy castles are an answer to the weather!!

Do what you want

Science thing sounds good

My kids get a party at 3years 6 9 12 etc usually at home games etc

The other years they have a family gathering often bowling all of us , things like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->