Not latching tonight

Sam182

Mum to a 27 week preemie
Reaction score
As the title says my 19 day old son is not latching tonight. Whenever I try he screams but I know he's hungry. Had to give him a bottle as he refused as got so stressed. I wish I knew why as I am struggling with ny confidence bfing as it is :(

Hiya, it's been 3 years since I bf a newborn so can't give you too much help, but could you phone la leche or something like that? They really helped me with a problem I had bf. Also, do you know if you have local bf supporters? Try not to worry, you just need a bit of support, I'm sure you can sort it out.
Xx

I'm having the same problem with my 6 wk old! Really odd as she loves boobie! She is giving me all the hunger cues and is sucking her hands like crazy but just screams if I put her to the breast!
I've managed to get her to have 2oz of breast milk out of bottle and now she is asleep hopefully she will wake and feed normally!

Are you stressed when you go to nurse? Babies can feel that tension and tend to react negatively. I would suggest a nice long period of skin to skin contact. Just recline on a bed or in a chair and leave baby naked except a diaper, and you can be naked to the waist. Baby will shimmy over to the nipple if he's hungry and if not then you can both relax together.

I will attach a good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyiNEvi0le4

We are still having issues here! It's driving me mad! Some times she latches and feeds fine! She always takes both boobs each feed, she is taking the first fine, then winding as she is a windy baby then she is rooting again but as soon as she opens her mouth for the second boob, nipple in and she gets instantly distressed and cries! I've had to give 2 oz of expressed in a bottle to settle her as we tried on and off for 20 minutes with no success and she is just getting in a mess and crying!
What could be the problem?
I was expecting her to feed more reaching the 6 week mark and the growth spurt I've been told about but instead she is crying when trying to latch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->