• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Not sure if I like my sons name anymore:(

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
My son is 9 weeks old, and we named him Josiah James. He's quite the sweet little guy, and we are sooooo in love with him. We changed our minds about his name 2 weeks before having him...and now I'm having regrets. My husband loves the name but not me.
My other kids names are Noah (5), and Isla (pronounced eye-lah). I feel like Josiah rhymes with Isla too much! What do you ladies think. I know it's too late to change his name. Everything has been done (birth certificate etc). We were supposed to name him Emmett. I just feel at a loss on this one:(

I really like Josiah James, it's a great name! I do like it better than Emmett.

I like Emmett better and agree with you that Josiah rhymes with Isla too much... That isn't very helpful to you though. James is very very nice also. Since it is already his middle how about you just call him James?

It's not too late to change it. Usually if done in the first year of life its a pretty simple process (here in Oz anyway) and there have been people on this forum who have changed their baby's name even 6 months in.

I know the feeling of having name regrets, I regretted dd2's name for a while, and often wondered if I had made a mistake, but now couldn't imagine her as anything else. Josiah is a nice name, and I like it more than Emmett. It's not a name that will cause him any embarrassment and I think it will serve him well. Yes it does rhyme with Isla, but so what? You can always call him "Joe" day to day if you don't want it to rhyme.

If you are regretting it that much then if u can change it I would. I did this with my daughter, she was Daisy for the first couple of months and she just really wasn't a Daisy at all. In the UK you can change the names on birth certificate up to a year of age, not sure where you are??. If you dislike it though and can't change it 'officially', you could always call him Joe (which is lovely) or make him known by his middle name?? It's such a tough decision, I struggled for ages before changing my daughters name, kept hoping it would feel right, but it never did, so glad I did change it in the end. She is much more suited to Madeleine (Maddie). Xx

I think I remember your post on here before you had him - bc I remember agreeing with you that yes, Isla & Josiah do rhyme. (and momof5 I remember commenting on your posts too, way back when you changed your daughter's name -- I think I spend way too much time here!! :haha:)

Hmmm... have you looked into whether you *can* legally change his name at this point? How does your OH and family feel about it?

I think if you really can't accept the name, then you should look into changing it - the sooner the better, of course.

I really like the name Josiah James though - I like it much better than Emmett!!

Is there a nickname based on the 1st or middle name, that you may like?

Suggestions: Jo, Jo-Jo, Joey, Ziah, James, Jimmy, Jamie, JJ, Jay

If its any consolation, I think it goes well with your other childrens names, especially as it has the biblical connection with Noah. I also think its one of those names that will inevitably get shorterned, so he may prefer Joe when he's older. If you really want to change it, its probably better to do it sooner rather than later. Another lady on here did it a few months ago and was very happy with her decision.

I love Josiah! I think it goes brilliantly with your other children's names too. I'm not keen on Emmett at all.

I prefer Emmett but Josiah is also a nice name that he will have no trouble with. I do think it's a bit too similar to Isla though

I know a girl (UK) who changed her baby's name at 10 months old and it was a pretty easy process. She just didn't ever feel quite right about the name they gave him and always had the other at the back of her mind. So you can definitely change if you want to

Thank you everyone:) my husband is totally against us changing the name, so that's not an option:( and I strongly dislike Joe, but I can imagine he might be called J.J one day as he makes friends at school etc. I love the name Josiah I just think it is so close to the name Isla. Ugh. Although there are some people that like names that rhyme right? Thank you to all of you for your words of encouragement. Choosing a name is such a big task lol

I wouldn't worry about the names being too similar. I've known families whose kids have much more similar names than that: one with an Annette and Anna, and another with a Christina and a Christer. All 4 kids turned out great, 3 of the 4 actually became teachers and one later a principal. I don't remember them ever facing judgment, regret or any problems because of the kid's names being similar...

So if you love the name Josiah, I personally wouldn't change it just for that reason. All 3 of your kids have great names. :)

Most of the time their names won't be put in order like that. His friends, classmates, teachers, work colleagues etc will all just hear his name, not 'Isla and Josiah'. It's only really when you introduce all of your children or write Christmas cards that it'll be presented like that. And like the others have said, he will have tons of options to shorten in when he gets older, if he prefers. I really like it.

The more I say these 2 names together, they really don't "rhyme" exactly. I like how all 3 end with -ah sound, it makes them similar yet not over-doing it.
Is that the only reason you dislike the name Josiah? If that's the only thing I wouldn't worry about it.
If there's more to it than them rhyming I'd definitely sit with your DH and discuss the option of changing it or going by James.

I know a little boy that his name is Josiah but everyone calls him Joey and it fits him very well. Just an idea :) and I don't think they're too rhymy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->