Not sure she's gaining..

newlywed2013

Reaction score
My dad was born 6lb 10 oz. 1.5 weeks ago she was 6lb 8oz. I just weighed her by holding her and weighing, then putting her down and weighing myself. The difference was 6.6 lbs. How accurate is that way of weighing her? She falls asleep during feedings but I can usually wake her easily, If I can't wake her, I assume she's done. She's usually pretty happy and sleeps well for about 3 hours between feedings.

Do I need to supplement with bottled breastmilk so she is getting enough without getting so sleepy? Or should I wait and see what her ped. Says at her 8 week appointment?

Depends on your scales. Would they register something that only weighed an ounce or two. Our scales are very poor, you weigh yourself three times in a minute and get a different weight every time!

Do you have a health clinic where you can just go and weigh her? I don't think a home scale would be super accurate to the decimal point but I'm sure within half a pound it would be so I would probably be concerned at this age that your Dd hasn't gained much if any. Try making her more alert and awake for feedings by changing her diaper in the middle if she seems to be drifting off. Also tickle her feet, undress her, etc. make sure she is absolutely satisfied at the end of a feed and not just falling asleep! Does she go 3 hours between feedings during the day? I would let her go that long at night but maybe wake her more often during the day. Can you schedule an earlier Check-up to see what the doctor says or is there a nurse you can call for advice?

I can call a nurse. We are over an hour from her pediatrician. Usually if i pick her up to burp her she wakes up, when she doesn't wake i assume she's done. During the day i change her after feeding and then see if she wants more. Usually not. And then she sleeps 3 hours. I will try waking her earlier. Tickling doesn't do much, she keeps sleeping and just squirms a little. It's hard to tell if she's awake because she eats with her eyes closed

I just did the scale again and got 7.6lbs for her. I will do it again in the morning and see what it says. Maybe it was wrong yesterday...

I always found home scales were inaccurate. scales often vary from one type to the next and are never as sensitive as those in clinics. I would see if anyone could come out to you and weigh her or see if there are any drop in clinics.

Our home scales didn't give a weight any where near accurate until my kids were about 2. I would just wait for her next appointment if she seems happy and healthy.

Congrats on your baby girl! :flower:

I don't think home scales are that accurate, not to the ounce anyway. I think if she's producing enough output and she seems happy, then she's OK. Over here we have scales at pharmacies which we can weigh babies on which is more accurate and precise, maybe you could try that? But I don't think you need to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->