Nursery rules for illness?

Scottish mum

Reaction score
My lo has been going to nursery since he was 6 months old he's now 2.

Useually If my lo is Ill I'll keep him off nursery. But it depends on the level of it. If he's ok in himself and has a runny nose then he's still going in but if he runs a feaver and is not himself then I keep him off for the sake of the other children but also so lo can rest.

But I know there are other parents who don't bother as such and still take them in! I know it's hard to judge sometimes as it could be a small cough that wouldn't have to take time off work to look after lo but where do you draw the line!!

I don't really understand when parents send sick children. I also send if it's just a runny nose and she is fine, but I wouldn't make her go if she was feverish or had something contagious. As well as the other kids it wouldn't be fair on her either, she'd be so miserable. I don't like taking time off work and I understand people have to get stuff done but when your kid is sick then they need you not nursery! x

I only send in if what he has is a cold and he is fine within himself. He had monday off because he had a temp and was feverish. HE also has a fear of being sick so panics when he coughs. This caused him to cough up a load of mucous. I wouldnt have wanted the staff to deal with that and they would have sent him home anyway. He has been in since as he was much better despite his runny nose. I now have his cold and still have to go to work :(

The school should have clear rules- we are not allowed to bring LO in with a fever (should be common sense) or tummy bug-- again... common sense. But I'm sure some parents feel more obligated with work etc... I mean, I can only speak to my situation. And that I'm lucky enough I can work from home as needed- and have my MIL to watch LO in case... and hubby can take time off work no issue too. So I have loads of options. Thus, my LO has never gone with more than a sniffle or lingering cough... otherwise I keep her home.

I'm not excusing bringing a sick child to school/care and exposing others... but I also know some parents don't have as many options, so maybe that's a factor? In those situations though, I would hope the daycare would step in and advise if a child should be sent home.

I send him in with colds and coughs unless he's feeling miserable and has a high fever. I can't just take time off for every sniffle (which he catches from there in the first place). I'd never send him in with a tummy bug or anything like that though. My childminder is pretty chilled though and will give cuddles, calpol and antibiotics as needed. She used to work for the NHS and mainly has NHS workers as her parents so knows we can't jus have time off all the time.

The nursery should have their own rules and sickness policy.
I know mine is that if they have 3 bouts of diarrhea they will be sent home.
If they have a fever over 100.4 they will be sent home.
If they vomit, they will be sent home.

Runny noses/coughs are usually okay so long as the child is acting themselves and no other symptoms (fever, diarrhea, vomiting, etc)

My DD nursery says nothing contagious (pretty obvious) if they've had sickness or diarrhoea in the past 48 hours they have to stay home, and if they're on antibiotics they aren't allowed in til they've finished their course. DD had a coldsore recently, and I was worried she'd have to miss it (she only goes 1 full day a week) but they said to send her in, with any cream she had for it. Once we arrived, they said they couldn't apply her cream, so I'd have to go apply it myself. DD hasn't settled well, so seeing me and then me leaving again would have upset her, so she just had 1 less application that day. She's at the nursery linked to my college, we don't get authorised absences for child illness, and my funding is based on attendance, so I'd send her in with a cough or a cold

The nursery will have its own policy. With ours if they develop a temperature they ring us and give calpol, if it doesn't reduce within an hour we have to go pick them up. Runny noses, coughs etc are fine if not with any other symptoms. Our nursery gives antibiotics, we sign a form, obviously will depend on the illness as to whether they are physically well after the infection, both boys had ear infections recently, once their temperature was down and they were fine they could go back even though they had a few days antibiotics left, that's quite a strict rule pp, I wouldn't be happy with that!

I think the antibiotic rule is pretty ridiculous tbh, i could understand if they were required for something that could be contagious. But, if she ever needed antibiotics and was well in herself, I think I'd still send her in. She hasn't got the speech to tell them herself and she's in from 9.15-3,so she'd be fine I think,having a dose before, then two doses after. Does that make me terrible??

Our daycare is very strict about fevers. You have to wait 24 hours after the fever breaks before they can go back. I keep lo home for fevers and when he feels obviously sick, but I do send him if he just has a runny nose. I used to keep him home for the duration of all colds, but then I noticed all the other parents were sending their children in sick (which was in turn getting my child sick) so I finally decided not to bother caring about runny noses and slight coughs. My lo averages about one cold every 2-3 weeks, so it's just not possible to keep him home all the time.

if shes feverish or not herself she stays home.

if shes got D&V i keep her off for 48 hrs.
chicken pox she will stay off until all blisters have scabbed (not had them yet)

if its just a runny nose she goes in x

Yes that's my rule if he's not right in himself and has a fever, sickness or anything that can be caught then I keep him off. My lo catches all his Illnesses at nursery and in on tender hooks as my little boy is prone to croup which has hospitalised him so I just think that some and not all send there kids in even though they clearly should not be there. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->