Nursing for comfort or actually hungry?

mlm115

Mom
Reaction score
I'm new to BF and am a little confused. DD seems like she wants to nurse fairly frequently, but often she just falls asleep. Then when I try to move her she will get fussy and want to latch on again. So is she actually hungry? If not, is it ok to keep letting her nurse for comfort? I remember the lactation consultant at the hospital saying to pull her off if she wasn't really eating, but she hates that!

Babiea suck because they feel "wrong". And they don't know the difference between the wrong of hunger or the wrong of tired or the wrong of pain etc. Comfort feeding is completely normal part of breastfeeding. It also helps increase your supply. Also while baby is comfort feeding they are getting smaller amounts.

Celesse is right. Babies need to satisfy their strong urge to suck which is sometimes why they might appear still hungry after a feed. I introduced a dummy so that lo wasn't constantly feeding and to satisfy the need to suck. It was my lactation consultant who suggested this. Although I would only offer the dummy directly after a full feed. If he settles and falls asleep then you know he was just looking for comfort.

I've read before that over 50% of the benefits of breastfeeding has nothing to do with with the milk.

Let her suck. It's what she wants to do. Whether she's hungry or not her instincts are telling her to. These days will soon be over and she'll be off crawling about and not wanting to cuddle anymore. :(

I have always Fed whenever they looked like they wanted too. Especially when tiny. Like
Pp said they might not know what they want but just know they want mommy. If your not getting sore and you are happy with them going to the breast regularly then go with it I'd say. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->