Nursing while pregnant: when did you get colostrum?

Feronia

Reaction score
I'm almost 13 weeks and my milk is just about gone... :cry: :nope:

For those of you who nursed through pregnancy, when did your colostrum come in? DD still nurses, but I feel like she'd be much happier if I had colostrum and more likely to continuing nursing until the birth so I can tandem feed.

Thanks!

I had milk through till about five months and colostrum came in about 7.5 months.

Lost mine completely in the first trimester and dealt with terrible aversion for a really long time. Colostrum came in at around 35 weeks. I was convinced DS1 would wean or lose his latch and he was only willing to nurse once every few days or so for less than 30 seconds each time for a large portion of my pregnancy. When the colostrum came in, it was obvious he still knew how to do it and was interested in the new milk. He's not a fan of the colostrum taste like I thought he would be, but I don't feel all hope is lost for him picking it back up once my milk comes in fully. It can be tough and many times I was convinced we weren't going to make it, but you get through it. Lots of kisses and cuddles.

Thanks for your experiences! Aww, I was hoping it would come earlier. Like between 20-30 weeks. So toddlers aren't usually fans of the taste of colostrum?

I know for a lot of women, it comes in closer to 24 weeks and their toddlers can't get enough of it. It's different for everyone. There's a tandem nursing group on Facebook where you can read about lots of different people's experiences and tips. I found it really helpful and encouraging. I was fairly depleted prior to this pregnancy, so I attribute that to colostrum coming in so late and drying up quite early. I know my colostrum was in by 20w with DS1. I also have other pregnancy issues that could have contributed to the late milk.

My daughter stopped nursing at 19 months and I was around 22 weeks pregnant. I got full colostrum pretty soon after. I had it for sure in both boobs by 24/25 weeks.

My daughter self weaned so can't speak for the taste preference but I know she was getting a little of both from one breast for sure as my body changed over. I would hand express and see both, mostly milk. The other breast was sole milk until she stopped.

I really hope she doesn't wean... :( I really have my heart set on tandem nursing. She's 19 months now as well and asks to nurse less often, but she still nurses in the morning, at lunch, and to sleep. So hopefully she hangs on!

I really hope she doesn't wean... :( I really have my heart set on tandem nursing. She's 19 months now as well and asks to nurse less often, but she still nurses in the morning, at lunch, and to sleep. So hopefully she hangs on!

My daughter was already weaning before my milk started changing. She was just ready. She was only nursing at night and half the time she was playing more than nursing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->