Nutriprem 2 not coming out of teat?!

MissRoc

Reaction score
I started bottle feeding my LO yesterday after making the decision to stop breastfeeding, I just wondered if anyone else had any problems with the Yeats clogging up due to the formula being so thick? I was wondering whether to change to 3+ teats as it would flow better? I'll also post this in formula feeding but thought there might be some preemie mummies about to help xx

hey, my LO is on NP2 also, ive never had problems with the powder but i now get it in ready made cartons, its much easier and convinient and isnt as thick as the powder version!

I just made the teat hole bigger using a sterile needle :flower: it would also
work using a bigger size teat though!

i had this problem but find if you really really shake it up when u make it then it doesnt clog, you cant leave it sitting for long either or u have to start again.....frustrating cause my baby kept on sucking as if he was getting the milk.

I've been pre making them and keeping them in the fridge, i wonder if thats why they clog more? I did ask my doctors for pre made cartons but apparently they cost too much!! My LO sucks on it too like he's getting it and doesn't fuss that he isn't, until I realised he's not actually taking any! I might try the needle trick, thanks Donnaballona I didnt think of that!

how can they say they cost too much, i get mind on the nhs, i dont see what difference it makes. the powder version is better when made warm though as it starts to congeal after a while xx

how can they say they cost too much, i get mind on the nhs, i dont see what difference it makes. the powder version is better when made warm though as it starts to congeal after a while xx

It's considerably more expensive than the tubs of powder and as there's no benefit with the pre-made most PCT's wont pay for it.

As for it getting stuck, it's trapped air in the bottle, it can be made worse if baby is only sucking on the teat and not trying to take the milk. Try to give it a dam good shake until it comes out or remove the top and put it back on. A bit of trial and error at first.

We were advised not to pre-make bottles and put them in the fridge, something to do with a increased risk of germs growing. We've found the easiest way is to fill a flask with hot water and use that, if it's too warm we just drop the bottle is some cold water.

It's considerably more expensive than the tubs of powder and as there's no benefit with the pre-made most PCT's wont pay for it.

i understand that is more expensive, what i dont understand is why some doctors will write a prescription for and other will not and why make it available if they arent willing to allow you to have the prescription in the first place?
:shrug:

i understand that is more expensive, what i dont understand is why some doctors will write a prescription for and other will not and why make it available if they arent willing to allow you to have the prescription in the first place?
:shrug:

It's all down to the Primary Care Trust and what they will fund, it could even come down to individual surgery budgets. If the NU had prescribed ready made NP2 then they would have to carry on prescribing it no question, however I doubt any would as it's so expensive.

The argument is that there's no difference between the powder and cartons however that's not strictly true as the cartons contain a preservative that acts as a laxative so if baby is suffering from constipation with the powdered NP2 you could have an argument.

my NU prescribe me the powered version, however i have just had the prescription changed to the ready made version, for no specific reason, i wasnt asked why, my surgery just did it as i asked. oh well just guess i have overly happy spending surgery :)
hope everyones well

I think I'm going to move to your surgery no matter where it is! Lucky you freddiesmum, bet they take some storing tho!

I did try making the feeds with a flask of hot water but I find if it's too hot that's when it doesn't mix well and if I put it in the flask at the right temp it end up under 70c with hv told me doesn't kill off bacteria then. Think I'll stick with making them up and keeping in fridge, had no problems yet, fingers crossed I won't!!

lol, well i just picked up a months perscription and theres 224 cartons, theres no space left in my kitchen lol. no1 has ever even questioned me, just happily wrote the perscription.
i dont know how relevant this is but once uve opened a carton of milk you can keep it in the fridge for 24hrs! but your right to make it up first because the water needs to be above 70degrees.
hope u n ur lil one are well x

Amelias NICU prescribed ready made for her. They gave us a tub of powder forr the first night then said go get the prescription filled the next day. I never realised how lucky I was I though it was standard practice.

I didnt know not everyone could get it, i was perscribed power n i had my pharmisist change it.

I'm very jealous of you both! I'm going to cry on my 8week check up and see if they take pity on me!

I actually think its quite unfair that they wont give you any. What if you were out for the day? I know you can make them up in advance but thats not the point. If your baby was on normal milk youd at least have the option of buying ready made. Grrrr at your doctors!

On the box of powered stuff it says 'now available in ready made cartons' tell them,its false advertising if they wont give it you! Wots the point in them making the stuff if its too expensive to perscribe??

I had the same problem and switched to the ready made cartons, I didnt ask the surgery I picked up my presciption as normal and just asked at the chemist if they could order in the liquid version and they did, maybe try that?

Just thought i'd let you ladies know i've been to the doctors today, asked for some liquid ready feed and they said no its too expensive, I'm allowed 10 for the month as I kicked up a fuss, guess that'll have to do!!

I think thats disgusting! But at least youve got some for going out etc x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->