O Rhesus Neg blood type when pregnant

Kiki88

Reaction score
Just wondered if I could get a little advise, my midwife and early pregnancy unit really made rhesus neg blood type sound like a really major thing at the start of my pregnancy...then my bloods come back confirming I'm O Rhesus Negative.
Since my results nobody seems to want to explain it to me and just brush over my questions saying 'it just means you have an injection at 24 weeks then after birth' and they sound so casual about it now :-/
I just wanted to know if it can effect my baby or the birth in anyway? I'm petrified of googling it as I always seem to find horrific theories on google ha it's my first pregnancy and im so confused - sorry about the essay xxx

im not an expert in this and i might be a little off, but this is what i remember from biology lol. so if your rh neg, and yours and your babys blood mnage to 'mix' i.e during birth your body will create antibodies (that can pass through the placenta) against your baby.....so generally speaking a first pregnancy isnt too much of a risk as your blood shouldnt 'mix', for any futher pregnancys they will probmake a bigger deal of it as your body may have made anti bodies with this pregnancy/birth iynwim......

the risk if your body does produce anti bodies, is that they will attack the babies red blood cells, which can cause anaemia in the baby.

In O rhesus negative x Its not a big deal at all really x If you have a bleed after 12 weeks then they'll give you somethng called an Anti D injection, you'll also have one at 28 weeks (UK) and if your baby is Rhesus Positive you'll need one after the birth too (I didnt need one as my son is rhesus neg too)
Basically if the babies blood mixes with yours then your body will create anti bodies to fight against the babys blood, its not a concern in your first pregnancy but can cause problems in additional pregnancies x
Hope that helps x

It's really not a big deal hun you just have to have a couple of injections, one during and one after birth.

Both my girls were coomes positive when born and had to have reg bloods taken for a few months, but it's no big deal even then and both are really healthy. I wouldnt even worry about this though x

Very very rarely are there any issues with being Rh Neg during pregnancy. It's only an issue for women who didn't get a RhoGAM injection for a miscarriage, abortion, chronic villus sampling, or pregnancy. As long as you get your RhoGAM shot it's not a big deal at all. I'm Rh Neg and babies have all been Rh Pos. First injection is usually between 26-28 weeks, never before 20 unless there are extenuating circumstances, and then within 72 hours after pregnancy. That was more during my grandma and mom's time working in health care.

I am also O negative - as people have said, no big deal. In the olden days, it's caused problems but that's when they didn't know enough about it. Anti D injection prevents the antibodies forming against your babies blood. An injection in arm at 28wks and one again after birth if baby is positive blood. After that nothing else.....unless of course you have another baby. X

my freind is also neg. she has anti d injections during pregnancy and all 5 babies have been just fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->