OH taking anti depression meds

Natsby

Luca born 9-11-2012
Reaction score
My OH takes a very small dose of venlafaxine which is an anti depression med, and I just found this on the net.

Men taking the drugs (including the one he takes.) were found to suffer a ‘dramatic fall’ in their sperm count while on the treatment, the papers said. They had reduced sperm concentration and impaired sperm motility.

When they stopped taking the SSRIs, the men’s fertility problems disappeared, although they came back if they started antidepressant treatment again..

So bad news and good news, but I´m not sure I can get him, (or should even ask) that he stop until we conceive. Just another thing to get in a tizzy about, oh dear.

:hug:Hmm, I'm going to say that you guys need to see a proper (ie British) doctor about this as going on what you've said about the Spanish health service it's totally pants.

Also the fact that you have been TTC for a while now and the Spanish doctor has never flagged this as an issue is a worry.

I'm no expert but there are many different anti-depressant meds out there and likely there is one out there he can take that won't affect your chances of conception.

Book some leave and make an apppointment with a proper doctor you both trust and find out the correct information so you know you your options and what you are dealing with.

I don't know if you can or should ask him to consider giving away the anti-depressants, that's a pretty big ask and depends on what stage he's at in his illness.

Sorry that you have another factor to give you stress Natsby

Sadly I´m not entitled to health car in the UK, but I´m not sure it was much better anyway, it is pot luck as to which doctor you get I guess in both countries. It used to be great here, but then they ran out of money.
He has been really well for a couple of years now, he is happy in himself and only takes a very low dose, but he is scared to give it up, and I understand that. I will try to find out how immediately it affects the swimmers and see if he can stop short term or if it is a long term deal. Shame still at least it might be our answer.

In the States, that one is sold under the brand name Effexor, which is a SNRI not an SSRI- this means instead of just working on seortonin reuptake, Effexor works on norepinephrinereuptake as well. I am not sure if the difference in neorotransmitter will have an effect on sperm or not; but what I can say is that this one particular anti-depressant needs to be weaned down slowly.

I hope that little bit of info helps!

oh great my dh is on that too but hopefully small dose isn't so bad

Have you had a SA done on your DH since he has been on the medication? If so and its good I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise may be worth doing a test?

Have you had a SA done on your DH since he has been on the medication? If so and its good I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise may be worth doing a test?

Yes that is our next step, I´m waiting to hear when I can see a gynecologist and she can arrange the tests. Then we will see whats what. He says he was taking them last time I got my bfp, but I seem to remember that he did stop whilst we were in Japan and that was just before so maybe that was why.

I´ll let you know what they say when I see someone. OH is on 75mg what is your taking?

Not to hijack, but if you are interested it comes in 37.5 mg as well. A capsule, under the advice of a doc, can be opened and the individual grains separated to get a smaller dose. The tablets should be safety coated, so I wouldn't cut them.

NE withdrawal can be awful, so it is definitely a good idea to step down. Sorry, the psychologist in me just came out. Lol.

I´ll let you know what they say when I see someone. OH is on 75mg what is your taking?

Not to hijack, but if you are interested it comes in 37.5 mg as well. A capsule, under the advice of a doc, can be opened and the individual grains separated to get a smaller dose. The tablets should be safety coated, so I wouldn't cut them.

NE withdrawal can be awful, so it is definitely a good idea to step down. Sorry, the psychologist in me just came out. Lol.

Grief don´t say sorry that is fantastic that you know about it. been going crazy today because there is no one I can ask here. Great to have a bit of hard info! He often forgets to take them for a day or so but it is hard for me to know whether he is moody just because, or because he forgot. That makes him sound awful, he is a sweetheart most of the time.

Grief don´t say sorry that is fantastic that you know about it. been going crazy today because there is no one I can ask here. Great to have a bit of hard info! He often forgets to take them for a day or so but it is hard for me to know whether he is moody just because, or because he forgot. That makes him sound awful, he is a sweetheart most of the time.

If he forgets to take them, my guess is that he is in withdrawal and might not even realize it. The effects can be felt even as early as a few hours of a forgotten dose. Do you know if he takes the sustained release or not. The bottle might say XR on it.

It says L.P but then he is French so that could mean the same, I´ll ask him when he comes in. ahh hang on liberation prolongee, yes that would be sustained release. Does it make a difference?
thanks for helping!!

[RQUOTE=Natsby;11074463]It says L.P but then he is French so that could mean the same, I´ll ask him when he comes in. ahh hang on liberation prolongee, yes that would be sustained release. Does it make a difference?
thanks for helping!![/QUOTE]

It just means that the medication releases into his system over a period of time instead of hitting his stomach and dispersing all at once. That's good. I would talk to his doc about options. If you go to the website for Effexor XR, you can read all of about how the drug works on the brain and the reported side effects from its trials. It's a snoozer, but if you like hard info, it might put you at ease. You will probably have to search for a US site, maybe.

Just a disclaimer, I am not a doctor. Lol. I'm pulling stuff from my memory of my psychopharmacology classes/ labs. Lol.

My OH is taking 75 mg also. Please do keep us posted. I read up about it too. IT gave me a little hope to read it was the medication paxil that caused screwed up sperm. Paxil is known to cause heart defects in babies when pg mothers are on it. SO maybe there is something different about pxil.

I have read about people on the net taking up to 300 mg. 150 is used a lot too.

The articles i read named effexor too, but it didn´t say what % of men it affected or for how long. To give you hope though I have been pregnant twice and he has always taken it so it doesn´t kill all the swimmers. I want to look into it because this time it has taken 9 months so far and as I miscarried the last 2 times I don´t want to spend a year trying between each one, I´ll be 50 before we get there at that rate. I´ll def keep you posted.

Hello hun please try not to worry too much. In my relationship I was the one on 75mg venlafaxine. From what I've read all anti depressants can cause a decrease in fertility, it doesn't matter if the man or woman is taking it.

I wouldn't ask him to stop as like me I assume he's on them for a good reason. :hugs: lots and lots of sticky dust I hope you get your :bfp: soon :dust:

I have read about people on the net taking up to 300 mg. 150 is used a lot too.

Alison just wanted to let you know I messaged someone else on here who had the same problem a while ago, anyway good news is she got pregnant naturally and he didn´t stop his meds. SO we are in with a chance!! I´m still sending OH for a test but that is more to stop me worrying than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->